Electric Drills

Page 2 of 2

Are you using a concrete bit, it should work but slower than a hammer drill.
wrote Re Electric Drills:

No. Concrete is way beyond a 12V rechargeable drill, unless you go very slowly and recharge several times.

Thank you. I was pretty sure the drill just wasn't powerful enough.

Others already told you that it is not up to concrete work. You also mention it does not sound fully charged. Given the 8 years it has been around, some of the cells may have died and will not hold a charge; a common malady. Either buy a new battery or have the old one rebuilt by someone like www.primecell.com and it will be better than new.
On 11/17/2010 4:59 PM, Dottie wrote:

Get yourself an inexpensive star bit for a couple dollars. You buy the size you need for the holes. Simply hammer on it and it will easily break through concrete, a bit tougher when you hit stones, but still easier than a masonry bit in a little drill without the hammer option.
Hard to find a picture of one due to so many people calling "Torx" bits "Star" bits, which they are not.
Here is a poor picture of a star bit that you simply hammer on:
http://www.ngkmetals.com/image/store/productImages/D-44-StarDrillBit.jpg

Thank you for the picture. I will look tomorrow at Home Depot. I had thought about going ahead and buying a new drill - just hated to spend that much so I could drill a few holes. It's not something I need very often. The house was built in 1983 - it's stucco over concrete block. And I actually need to hang several of those hose hangers.
Dottie

You don't want to drill through block or brick if you can avoid it. Drill through the mortar joint. Might have to measure to find the joint. I wouldn't pound on stucco with a star drill.
No experience with stucco, but you should be able to get through that and mortar easily with your drill and a masonry bit. But if your drill is shot, you don't need to spend a lot on a drill for that if you go electric. I have this. Tossed about 4 cordless drills/drivers because of bad batteries. No comparison to the battery junk I had. http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00910114000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 You can find cheaper. But that's a good one. You'll use it for other things. Since I'm leery of getting zapped outside using 120v I usually stand on a rubber car mat or piece of plywood. Always do in damp or wet dirt.
Look at HD for a package with a masonry bit and plugs/screws to fit. 1/4" or 5/16" bit should do. Like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xi3/R-100338692/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId051&catalogId053 But make sure it's a masonry bit. Think I got a pack with a 5/16" masonry bit when I hung a hose reel on my brick wall. Or just buy a bit and plugs separately. I don't how thick or strong stucco is, so you judge how long the screws should be.
The hose carrier holes didn't line up with the mortar joints when I hung it, so I put 1"x"4 wood strips on the wall, then screwed the reel assembly to those.
--Vic

Thank you. I was afraid I would have to buy an expensive drill --- I have Bookmarked those two web sites and tomorrow I may buy myself an early Christmas present.
On 11/18/2010 5:24 PM, Vic Smith wrote:

Gotta agree there, could make a mess out of the stucco.

OT - Angels we have heard on high Telling us go out and buy! (Tom Lehrer)
-- Back in the 50s I had one of his albums. He was really funny and ahead of his time. Hadn't thought about him in a long time.
Dottie