Electric Drill Bit Slippage

I have a Craftsman 19.2 volt drill with a half inch chuck. Many times, especially while pressing hard into the material being drilled, the bit slips. No matter how much I tighten the chuck, the bit continues to slip. Other than replacing the chuck, which isn't worth it, what can be done? Is there a spray of some sort or something else to provide a better grip on the bit.
Edge wrote: ...

Nope, unless it's just dirty or the bits are galled. Sorry chucks are sorry chucks, sorry... :)

It seems to be characteristic of many keyless chucks. I have less of a problem with slippage using hex bits.

Know whjat you mean especially 'getting older' keyless chucks! Grind a couple of flats onto the drill bit/s. For hard drilling anyway. Some are probably already scarred from the slippage?
You can grind 3 flats on the drill bits which if not done exactly symetrical will make the drill bit wobble. Aside from tightening the chuck with a key, it's the chuck thats letting you down and would need to be replaced. Sears may give you a new drill if you explain the problem, I think they have fairly good customer service.

What are you drilling? New or old bits? Are you using the right bits for the job? Maybe dull bits are your problem.
snipped-for-privacy@antispam.net (Bill) wrote in

Keyed or keyless chuck?

put a heavy rubber band around the chuck to help get a better grip on it. (for a keyless chuck)
he could grind 3 flats on the shank of the bits,with a Dremel. Are the bit shanks all chewed up from slipping in the chuck? then you need new bits.
also,maybe he's pressing TOO hard,forcing the bit thru the work.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Edge wrote:

I have one keyless chuck on a battery drill that I have to use slip joint pliers to tighten because of drill slippage. I think it's the fact that the threads are not fine enough so you can't put enough torque tightening it. If I were doing lots of drilling I would grind flat spots on the bits. You notice that the screwdriver bit holder does not slip because of the hex design.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

PS You can also buy a set of drills with hex bases on them that fit into the screwdriver bit holder or directly into the chuck.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

I bet that it is a shitty keyless chuck, in which case the fix is to replace it with a decent Jacobs keyed chuck.
nate

Why are you pressing down so hard? Try using a little cutting oil Use sharp bits, If you are drilling a large hole drill a small pilot hole first. Still having problems, you have a bad chuck.
110 or 220 is electric !! 19.2 is battery !!!
Jerry LOL
Edge wrote:

At least some keyless chucks, including those in Ryobis (your drill may actually be one) have a ridge in each jaw to grip bits better, but I know people who still experience slippage problems with them.
As others have suggested, buy hex-shaft drill bits. But even the cheapest keyed chuck will grip better than your keyless chuck.
Edge wrote:

You can get a helper Chimp or Gorilla to tighten it for you. We have a few mentally challenged guys working for us who don't know their own strength that substitute for apes. They can break anything if you're not watching but the law won't allow us to keep them in a cage on the job.
[8~{} Uncle Monster