Electric diagnosis

Here's the scenario. After using an electric fryer for an hour, all of the lights in the ceiling went out. They are on the same breaker as the receptacle that was being used. Lights are controlled by 3 different switches. All check fine. Bulbs are good. I checked every receptacle and the light fixtures. There is power to the hot side, the ground is dead. I checked all grounds in entrance panel, checked good. I cannot find any junctions where this could have happened. I suspect that the cooking may not have anything to do with this because the receptacle still works. But then, why do I get nothing when I check with meter? The hot side will show 120 when tested using house ground, shows nothing when tested with paired ground in cable. What am I missing?
What could have happened? Am I missing something? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Cooking in the dark doesn't do it this week.
Thanks, Ken
Look for a loose connection somewhere.
-- kjpro _-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>_-~-_>
( kjpro @ starband . net ) remove spaces to e-mail
Want it done yesterday? Or done right today, to save money tomorrow!!
_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>_>

Now why could'nt I have said it that simple? ;<)
Thanks, Tony D.

"There is power to the hot side, the ground is dead" ?? Do you mean The Neutral?
Sometimes A heavy load will open a loose or boarder line connection somewhere. It will "cook" the loose conection open. " I checked every receptacle and

110 volt between the white and black fixture wires (switch on of course) then I would suspect the fixture it self. If not, It sounds like you may have a open neutral somewhere. Did you happen to check the outlets with one of those $5.00 outlet testers from the BORG? What did it read?
There shouldn't be, but is it possible the light is fed from a GFI outlet that needs reset. Where does the power for the light fixture come in from?
HTH
Tony D.
"I checked every receptacle and

There should never be power at the ground, just voltage between the ground and hot, Is that what you mean. I

Its got to be his neutral, (somewhere)??
Did you actually take apart all the neutral splices and or tug on all the neutral wires leaving the wire nuts. I see a lot of guys like to pre-twist there wires, even though the manufacture says you don't have to. Good luck, keep looking, let us know Thanks, Tony D.

Hi Ken!
K > Here's the scenario. After using an electric fryer for an hour, all of th
K > lights in the ceiling went out. They are on the same breaker as the K > receptacle that was being used. Lights are controlled by 3 different K > switches. All check fine. Bulbs are good. I checked every receptacle and K > the light fixtures. There is power to the hot side, the ground is dead. I K > checked all grounds in entrance panel, checked good. I cannot find any K > junctions where this could have happened. I suspect that the cooking may K > not have anything to do with this because the receptacle still works. But K > then, why do I get nothing when I check with meter? The hot side will show K > 120 when tested using house ground, shows nothing when tested with paired K > ground in cable. What am I missing? K > K > What could have happened? Am I missing something? Any suggestions will be K > greatly appreciated. Cooking in the dark doesn't do it this week.
As the one guy said, look for a open connection. (NSS! [No <poop> Sherlock]) This you have already started by checking voltages and being sure the bulbs are OK.
Not sure how your particular wiring is but as the outlet works and the three switches don't I'd guess the problem is common wire between the outlet and the switches. Could be the black, could be the white. (Those electrons like a complete path.)
As you tested the outlet did you happen to notice how many wires were attached to it? If three (black, white, ground) the problem is else- where. If six (2 B, 2 W, 2 G) then _possibly_ the one or the other link on the outlet opened. There is a metal bar between the two pairs of screws. Check both blacks and both whites. (Top black, then bottom black, white stays; top white, bottom white, black stays.
It is also possible the wires are pigtailed together inside the outlet box so two wires come in to the outlet box and only one pair go to the outlet. (A "Y" is created with three pairs of wires.) It is possible to have a loosened connection from the wire nut.
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* The fix to some problems is just a CTRL_ALT_DEL away!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971