Electric company blocks my sewer line

Last week, my wife called me at work and said the downstairs bathroom floor was wet. She could not find anything leaking. Turns out, my main drain backed up after doing a load of wash. It filled the shower pan and overflowed just a bit, then drained down so she did not see the cause readily.

When I came home, I dumped some water, flushed the toilet and after about 15 gallons some water came up in the drain of the shower. Plunger did nothing and given the amount of water, I figured to clog was a little distance.

Next day, I put a 50' snake down the outside cleanout. Nothing. It came up clean and water still drained slow. My plan was to rent a 100 foot snake. After thinking about the whole situation, I decided it may be best to call a pro. There is a local outfit that does septic and sewer work. When I called, they told me to call the town first, to be sure it was not their problem and it would not cost anything for them to check. I called and in

30 minutes two guys were out on the street. They pulled out some rocks and dirt from their cleanout. They thought it came from my line and it may have been broken when the power company installed a new pole.

I called the drain people back, told them what the situation was. They came out and verified it was right where the new pole was (and there was some sinking of the ground around it). The have a transmitter on the end of a snake and can follow it down the line from above. They in turn called the power company as they needed them while digging no matter what the cause was.

Next morning, there were six trucks on the street. Town sewer department, two from the electric company, others from the sewer guys. They had one truck with a boom that grabbed and supported the pole while they dug with a backhoe. Once they got to the sewer line, they saw fragments of it around the pole hole from where the auger cut into the pipe. They cut out the bad section, splice in a new and filled the hole. Took about 5 hours total, including running to a supply house for the pipe that was not the usual size they always carry. It is 5" I was told.

Damage was minimal on my part. Bathroom mat damaged and some cleanup, some lawn work to be done in the spring. I'll be putting in a claim with the power company for that. The pole was put in for a new house built across the street, and it went in almost three months ago. Given the time lapse, I did not make any connection. Never thought the electric company would screw up the plumbing. I'm also glad they are paying the tab as I imagine it will be very pricey.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Very interesting story. Wait until the water company screws up your electricity!

Reply to
mm

At least that is not as bad as the contractor building a garage for the home behind mine. He came to the door and told me not to flush the toilet any more as it was filling his ditch for the footings. It seems he broke though my sewer that went under the home behind me. My home was 150 years old and the home behind me had at one time been part of the back yard of my home. In any case he called the police when I told him I would do no such thing and that he would have to repair my plumbing and figure out what to do at his end and his expense. In any case the police gave him an attitude adjustment and it all worked out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Assuming your sewer is out-of-easement and crossing another's private property, have you been asked yet to move the line?

How was the repair made? Was your sewer line rerouted?

Inquiring minds...

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

We had a similar problem, although not due to digging. Main sewer line for our condo plugged up - obvious in our unit first, as we are ground floor nearest the main sewer. Called the city first - Sunday evening - "Nope. No problems here." Called plumber, rooted out to the main sewer line, $600. About a week later, the city was digging at precisely the spot our line joins the city's main, across the street from us. I knew the city had major problems downline from us, so it seemed logical it wasn't in our part of the line.

Reply to
Norminn

You just haven't gotten the bill yet...

Reply to