electric code question

not a residential question. Does anyone know what the code has to say about the allowed length and means of attachment for line voltage electrical (120VAC>15A) cords, (temporary power) on commercial buildings?

Reply to
timO'

"timO'" wrote on 15 Mar 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

The code doesn't matter as much as the inspector's opinion.

I worked for an aerospace company that used extension cords to provide power to desks in a bullpen area -- one cable about as big as my thumb with a metal junction box every eight feet. (Can you tell I'm not an electician?) Someone in the shop was using an extension cord improperly. He was told to get rid of it. It was still there the next time the inspector came, so we were told to remove *every* extension cord in the entire plant -- some sixty buildings. The office areas got official power poles, not a bad thing, and the shop areas got real commercial power runs. Tens of thousands of dollars of expense.

Moral: Don't annoy the inspector.

Reply to
Steve

Use this little calculator:

"Blattus Slaf

Length does not matter. You can't use flexible cords as a substitute for the fixed wiring of a structure. If you are installing temporary power feeds they need to comply with NEC and be removed within 90 days.

Reply to
misterjustme

Good rule, but it sounds like the inspector is a dick.

Reply to
Terry

Your little calculator is absolutely little, because it leaves out many necessary variables. Try mine at

a real code calculator.

Reply to
Jerry

The 2005 NEC covers temporary installations in Article 590.

Reply to
Jerry