Electric chain saw-motor burnt out

I have an electric chain saw (120 VAC) and was using it for awhile until it suddenly gave up the ghost. I tried different cords, different outlets etc. and the problem seems to be the motor. I suspect that the motor has burned out - and here's the question - when an electric motor burns out, what typically breaks on the motor and can it be fixed by someone who is pretty handy? I disassembled the chainsaw and checked to make sure that the switch in the handle is working OK and it is - but the motor is definitely not working. Any suggestions certainly would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Doug

Reply to
Doug

Don't know much about them. Have two of them, but haven't used either of them for several years.....but just a question. The gas models have a "safety chainbrake" in the event of kickback the theory is that the brake will be operated and will stop chain rotation before it takes off half your shoulder.

Does your electric have a chainbrake. And, if so, has it been accidentially activated....

Reply to
timbirr

I don't think it's a chainbrake issue since the motor turns freely by hand, but thanks for the suggestion. Doug

Reply to
Doug

Well, I would think in the electric, they might just "kill switch" the motor somehow....don't know, just a random thought.

Once, in a moment of insanity (since I never loan my saws out), a neighbor borrowed one of my saws, called me the next day and said he was sorry, he had broken it, but he'd take it in and have it fixed.

Called me a few days later, a bit embarrased. He'd been trying to use it while the chainbrake was on. Guys at the shop had a bit of a chuckle over that.

Reply to
timbirr

Most likely a bad switch, easily jumped oiut to check and look for a overheat swictch breaker...

Probably not worth spending much money to fix. I buy my electric chansaws at garage sales flea market. 10 bucks can get you a nice one. I I try and buy several of the exact same model for easy parts interchangeability.

When chainsawing stuff I want to cut and NOT spend time messing with saw.

With more than one hitting a nail in a tree means I just swap saws and keep going, no next hour getting a chain.

I LOVE REDUNDANCY, plus I am always cutting with a sharp chain!

Reply to
hallerb

rep/ Burnt out,and used Chain Saws. The spares and repairs of these power tools is where the profits realy are for the makers you seem to know what you are doing.The flea market is a good place for bargains,but just a word to the wise here.I was helping my cousin cut some branches of some fir trees and he had just got a "bargain" of a Chainsaw.After we had felled the branches we set to cutting them for easy disposal,in the meantime we both had noticed the saws tendency to not respond to switch off.I was handing him the biggest pieces when the saw stuck so he pulled it out and it seemed off.I can see this still so clearly i asked him to pass me the saw to have a look at,wel he passed it to me handles first as he was holding the chain.The saw hadn't been switched off at all it started and it cost him three fingers anda deep leison in his right leg. Turns out it wasn't such a good buy after all.

Reply to
*GED*

???? Never? well hardly ever. (That's a line from some musical. "Carousel"?)

called me the next day and said he

Reply to
mm

What's it smell like? Ozone just means arcing, but if it's not the swtich and its brushless, there'll be no arcing.

Burnt smell means something is burnt. Probably not repairable at a reasonable price.

Reply to
mm

There doesn't seem to be any burnt smell at all - the motor turns freely by hand but just won't work when I plug it in. I tried jumpering the wires to bypass the switch - same problem - nothing happened. Doug

Reply to
Doug

is it a brush type motor? sounds like a worn or lose brush

Reply to
hallerb

is it a brush type motor? sounds like a worn or lose brush

Reply to
hallerb

If you're sure you've exonerated the cord and switch, as well as any anti kickback switch (If there's one of those on your saw.), I'd cast my vote for worn out or "stuck" motor brush(es).

I personally have never seen an electric chain saw without a "universal" motor, with brushes.

Pull the brushes and see if they've worn too short or if there's sticky gunk keeping them from sliding in and being spring loaded against the motor's commutator.

Failing that, eyeball and push-pull all connections of lead wires wherever they end up to make sure there isn't a broken wire concealed by unbroken insulation.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

SAFETY WARNING!

REMOVE CHAIN BEFORE MESSING WITH SAW PLUGGED IN

Reply to
hallerb

Thanks for the suggestion - I haven't checked the brushes yet so I'll remove the motor and check them out. I hope it's something as simple as that and that I can find a replacement set of brushes fairly easily. Thanks again.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

PROBLEM SOLVED!!! After disassembling the chain saw I discovered a broken wire that ran from the switch to the motor. I replaced the wire and all is well. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and patience. Doug

Reply to
Doug

Glad you got your problem fixed. Mine has quit a couple of time and I fixed it each time by taking it apart and cleaning. Never was sure of the exact cause but I suspect it was a stuck brush.

Reply to
Jimmie D