Electric Ceramic Space Heat in the Northeast

I just bought a ceramic electic space heater. Assuming it runs constantly 15 hrs/day on cold days at $.10/kwh, that's $2.25/day. If I can cut an average cold day of heating my house from $10./ day to $5./day by using the ceramic heater only in the room I'm in and cutting the household temperature to 50 degrees, I'm guessing I could save $2.75/day.

OK, so this is just BS armchair calculations.

My question is, has anyone tried this approach and does it work?

Reply to
hotORcold

There is some validity to your suggestion, but it is not 100% perfect.

Some of the heat will filter into other rooms adding to the cost of running the space heater. The cost of the other heat source will be a factor also. If the hourly rate for that heat is much less, the savings will be less. My own experience is that the electric bill went up quite a bit, probably not enough to justify the effort of moving a space heater around.

In my area, electric heat is too expensive to have a big saving. YMMV, but worth some experimenting. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski