Electric ceiling heat

Hi Good Group: Anyone have comments/opinions (har!) on ceiling heat. Subject is a small, rancher with open living/dining/kitchen area and small, boxy bedrooms. Not sure what isulation is. Just looking at one for sale. TIA, Mary
ps: Individual room thermos. M
The house I live in HAD electric heat in the ceiling but has geo-thermal now. But every house in the neighborhood was built with it. My neighbor that still has it has the highest electric bills but her house is never really "warm". I have heard it blamed for cracking ceilings and making the nails loosen too. I don't know if that is true, but most everyone has had the ceiling replaced. So, all I can say is check the ceiling and ask for copies of the electric bills. If they don't have them, I am sure they can request them from the electric company.
My big thing now is going around the house ripping out the thermostats and replastering the walls where they were. The connection to the circuit breaker was disconnected when the new system was put in.
Suzi

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:40:30 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (High Nonnie) wrote:

Hmmm, do you live on the ceiling? Heat rises, this seems like one of the dumber ideas I've heard of lately. I wouldn't touch it.
Ceiling heat is far more common in more tropical climates where heating is the rare exception rather than the rule, and when it is needed it's only on for a short time.
Common in Florida's many 2-bedroom air conditioning units.
040117 1205 - HA HA Budys Here wrote:

Yes, it doesn't take up any floor space, and the heat is a radiant heat, like the sun: it warms items beneath it that it radiates to.
The first time I heard of infrared radiant ceiling heat was when a builder asked me to bid on a job many years ago. Since I had no experience with that type of installation my bid was high and consequently did not get the job.
While I was working on my estimate I had contacted the specified manufacturer to learn about the product and how it was to be installed. I don't remember the brand but it consisted of running wires forth and back across the ceiling throughout the room. The system was not designed to generate heat. It gave off infrared radiation which made your skin feel warm and would do the same to objects in the room.
I didn't like the idea of those wires in the ceiling as they would have been in the way if the owner decided to install recessed lights in the future. I also was not crazy about the idea of low level infrared radiation beating down on the human body constantly. I equate it to being in a toaster oven on a low temperature setting for an extended period of time.
That was many years ago. There may be other ceiling heat products out there, but I am not familiar with them. I tend to stay away from the latest thing on the market until the product and manufacturer have proven track records. It is difficult to repair something if the manufacturer has gone out of business. Remember what happened when rich people discovered floor heating systems in its early years? Fortunately they had money for lawyers to sue and for contractors to replace their floors. Now years later there are better, more reliable materials for floor heating.

On 16 Jan 2004, High Nonnie wrote:

Only that it goes against the basic laws of physics. You want your heat to -rise- from below, you dump your chilled air in up high and let it -fall- down.
But beyond that, if you've seen it in action and know that it works, then what do I know? lol