Electric baseboard heater making a noise?

An acqauintance posted the following question on a local news group. With their permission we are posting it here for your help/comment please.

Quote: If any of you could help, I'd appreciate it. Over the past few days when my baseboard electric heater cuts in, it produces this really annoying high pitched whirring sound. Anyone have any idea what is causing this or what I can do to stop it? It immediately stops when I turn off the heat. Any advice would be appreciated. End quote.

Further discussion indicates; a) The heater is fairly new, about 3 years old. b) The householder installed a programmable (presumably at least a short time ago).

Comments: c) AFIK is not next door to any radio station etc. and picking up radio waves etc. d) Not sure if our power company here does or does not send out any kind of signals over their power lines for measuring or controlling their electrical plant.

Through the local group We have already suggested such things as the heater being too tightly screwed to the wall etc. But please feel free to suggest anything that might help pinpoint the annoying sound.

The person would be most grateful for comments or advice. TIA. Stan.

Reply to
terry

There are no replaceable parts on the unit. As long as the voltage is matched to the unit, I'd just replace it. The typical noise is a ticking sound caused by expansion, but hissing or whining or I had one that sounded like water dripping, I just replace them.

Reply to
RBM

could be a vibration can you tell where on the heater its coming from most that ive installed have a removeable front id inspect it visually for any thing loose or that might move or vibrate while heating.

Reply to
sym