electric baseboard heat

I have a 7 zone b b elec heat system' 30 yrs old that has developed a problem with the largest (4 heaters) zone. (of course ) The entire zone is controled by thermostat on the wall,not on each heater. The zone is no longer responding to thermostat but continues to run constantly. This is ok right now as it is cold in Connecticut today,but it's starting to get toasty in here. My first thought was to change thr thermo but my friend who knows more than me,generaly,so unh unh. No your problem mon. Is there an electrician in the house ? Any advice happily accepted for consideration. BBGG

Reply to
bigbillygoatgruff

typical electric heat thermostats are only good for 22 amps which is about

20 linear feet of baseboard. If your four heaters are longer than that you probably have electric heat relays, controlled by a low voltage thermostat. In either case, I would check the thermostat first. Kill the electric and remove stat and disconnect one wire, any one. Turn back on electric and see if heat is off now. If so, replace stat

Reply to
RBM