electric awning with rain sensor

Visited a friend last weekend in Dallas where it's hot and there is lots of sun, and he had an electric awning that seemed very nice.

This one had a rain sensor, and when it sensed water, it brought the awning in, so it wouldn't be ripped apart by a hurricane. A nice feature. Although I would want an override so one could be out there in a mild rain and stay dry. It probably has that too or you could put in a switch. I didn't get the brand name, but I'm sure you can find it if you want.

The support arms were like upper arms and fore arms, and even when the awning was fully open, the arms were partly bent. Seemed fragile to me but he has money so it's probably a good brand and a good design. The arms certainly were not thin.

Reply to
micky

What he has is useless. What it should be is a *wind* sensor so that if it detects high wind, it retracts.

Reply to
trader_4

That makes more sense. One reason I'd want the awning is to sit out in the rain, as long as it was not blowing.

Our deck is 8' off the ground and is cement under it. We use that a lot as a covered patio as the deck is in the sun till mid afternoon. My wife has been after me for 30 years to waterproof the deck so she can sit out under it in the rain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

No need to remind you every five year or so, you'll get around to it.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

micky posted for all of us...