Elec Code Question

We plan to relocate our two air-contidioner compressors. They each currently have a fuse box located on the outside wall of the house. In the new location mounting the boxes on the house is not a good option so we plan to run the wires from the crawl space through newly drilled holes to the outside. The plan is to install short pole (or poles) a few feet from the house and mount the fuse boxes on the pole(s).
Is that OK? If so, what are the permissible means to get the wire from the crawl space to the pole. It would be good if we could do this above ground. Rigid conduit? Flexible water proof conduit? Support requirements?
Many thanks.
On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:11:49 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@kee.com wrote:

What does the local inspector have to say about all of this?
You would have to conform to local code requirements and pass an inspection by your local code enforcement official - any replies you get here with how to do it advice would not be too helpful if your local inspector didn't go along with what you are told here!
I understand that. I haven't talked to the local inspector yet. I am asking what requirements the NEC imposes. I know there are some, but I don't know what they are.