Elec code question

Does code require the receptacle for a over-the-range microwave to be GFI protected? (Seems to me like it would be a good idea because one may frequently be touching the microwave and the grounded range - or is it sufficient to depend on the microwave ground being intact at all times?)

Anyway the main question is, "Doec the code require a GFI here?"

Many thanks.

Reply to
NoSpam

No, only counter outlets in the kitchen

Reply to
RBM

No

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:14698$46f09249$9440c41e$8159 @STARBAND.NET:

It does is it is near the sink.

But you knew that. Right? I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll say so anyway.

Reply to
Clark

Actually, assuming we are talking kitchens in dwelling units, the 2005 NEC, Article 210.8(A)(6) only says that kitchens require GFCIs on receptacles "where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces". Local codes may be more restrictive.

Reply to
SRN

"SRN" wrote in news:lbnIi.77470$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe19.lga:

Ok, I&#39;ll certainly go along with that, but what do they say about receptacles near wet locations or exterior doors?

Reply to
Clark

For starters, they say something different then they say for outlets above stoves for microwaves

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" wrote in news:WqCIi.504$GW.303 @newsfe12.lga:

Fine. Now if that outlet for a microwave is near the sink or an exterior door, which rules apply? Is there a specific exemption?

Reply to
Clark

The NEC does not reference the kitchen sink in any way. It only says all receptacles serving the countertop in the kitchen, pantry, dining and breakfast room shall be GFCI protected. If the receptacle behind the microwave was above the sink in an appliance garage it wouldn&#39;t have to be GFCI because it is not serving the countertop. For that matter if some trendy fad started where you had a pedastal sink in the kitchen with no counterspace around it you could have a receptacle above it without a GFCI. Terrible "design" but it doesn&#39;t violate the code. An inspector might make up a rule (90.4) to make you do it. On the other hand wet bar sinks and laundry sinks do have the 6 foot rule.

Reply to
gfretwell

Once again, you show you&#39;re ignorance. Try purchasing a NEC2005 and learn to read.

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:d7073$46f3d805$9440c41e$30006 @STARBAND.NET:

You&#39;re still wrong. Could the receptacle serve the counter? Is it within 6 feet of a wet location? If those conditions are met then an inspector should require protection. Got it?

Reply to
Clark

Regardless of what "an inspector" should require, the NEC doesn&#39;t

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" wrote in news:xFVIi.670$GW.238 @newsfe12.lga:

The NEC requires protection for outlets near wet locations. No one has provided a cite for an exception to that requirement.

Reply to
Clark

Sorry, wrong again. You need to invest in a code book. There is nothing in the NEC that requires (generally) that GFCI protection is required for outlets "near wet locations" It does require protection in specific wet locations and other specific locations, but adjacent to an exist door on the inside of a house, while "near" a wet location, is not required to be GFCI protected

Reply to
RBM

I got the fact that you don&#39;t understand NEC codes.

Reply to
<kjpro

wrote in news:d5c94$46f617a4$9440c41e$2024 @STARBAND.NET:

Wrong again.

Reply to
Clark

"RBM" wrote in news:iBYIi.179$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

Ummm, what about the rule of being within six feet? That still holds does it not?

Reply to
Clark

Clark, you&#39;re reaching!!! Originally when GFCI protection was required at kitchen counters, it was for any outlet within six feet of the sink. That&#39;s changed and all kitchen counter outlets are required to be protected. GFCI rules are pretty specific now, such as where an outdoor hot tub is installed, a GFCI outlet is required to be installed between ten and twenty feet from the tub. The only current six foot rule I know of is a counter top at a wet bar, any outlet within six feet of the sink must be protected

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" wrote in news:QzDJi.1018$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

First off, I&#39;m not really reaching. I am following code as adopted by my local jurisdiction.

NEC 2005 requires protection for laundray & utility sinks along with wet bar sinks. Specific exceptions for kitchen locations are noted.

There are many requirements for gfci protection near wet locations. Perhaps you should read the code?

Clark

You are the one claiming some six foot of a wet location rule. There simply isn&#39;t one. As I said earlier, there are many SPECIFIC locations where GFCI protection is required. Within six feet of a laundry or wet bar sink are two specific locations

Reply to
RBM