Elastomeric paint, ceramic paint, liguid vinyl vs Vinyl Siding ?

Have you looked at

to see if you are eligible to participate in the class action settlement?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

I have 2 story house ( lower story brick ) wih a fair amount of deteriorated hardboard siding . I have seen all those commercials about those coatings an wondered if they are mostly hype ( basically just improved but overpriced painting systems ) . I don't like the " cheap " look of vinyl but want something that will last . Any recoomendations ?

BTW can the coatings be purchased and applied DIY ( any URL links for info ) ?

Reply to
nospam4me

There's a sucker born every minute, so they say. Don't be one of them.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Mostly hype? Improved? Puh-leeze. It is ordinary paint, perhaps with extra fumed silica to thicken it, sold at obscene prices to suckers.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

It is difficult to get good results when the substrate is deteriorated. A coating is only as good as what it is covering. That hardboard siding is well known for falling apart where it sees heavy water exposure. If you intend on staying there it would be a good idea to replace the bad sections and follow up with good quality paint.

Reply to
George

"I don't like the "cheap " look of vinyl but want something that will last ."

Well you have several choices, but fancy paint is not one of them.

Some vinyls are not bad looking, but they would not be my first choice. A good wood siding well cared for is great, but, remember that well cared for part. They need maintenance. Properly cared for a good quality wood siding will last a very long time and look great. Not cared for none will last a long time or look good.

Good vinyl can look good (I did not say great) and it can last a long time with minimal care, but from my experience, it is also noisy in the wind and is IMO difficult to work with when making changes to the outside of the structure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan