Efflorescence

I am looking to treat an efflorescence problem in a basement. I have been doing some checking on the internet and have gotten varying opinions of what will work. The most convincing company I've found is Aldon. They suggest a solvent based efflorescence remover followed by a solvent based concrete sealer. Has anyone has experience with this company, or maybe success with other products?

I was trying to look for something local (Springfield, MA area) but the local hardware/Home Depot etc don't carry this. Aldon ships out of Boston.

Any comments appreciated. Thank in advance!

Bob Zimmerman

Reply to
Bob

The efflorescence is from water coming through the wall. I suggest starting with a sump pump dedicated to removing water from under the floor, and/or water outside the wall, pressing in. After making sure there was positive slope away from the house. A French Drain may be called for. Efflorescence from calcium being leached from the concrete, being deposited. If I were dealing with it, I'd start with CLR or a vinegar solution. But I'm not the pro on this.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

I used a concrete sealer called "Aqua Gaurd" in Canada. I think similar products in the USA would be Xypex. It's a water based chemical solution that reacts with the elements in concrete and creates a seal inside the floor rather than on top. I'm very satisfied so far.

Reply to
Ivan