Efficient use of Air conditioner

Page 3 of 5

Our local utility, SDG&E, is offering free replacemnts for halogen torchiere lamps. I haven't traded yet, but I presume the new lights contain fluorescent bulbs.
Might be mercury or sodium.
If the light is bluish, it's mercury. If it's yellowish, it's sodium.
I am told the bulbs may be the same size, but they are not interchangable.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

I do most of that already. I use our grill and sideburner for most meals and even plug in the crockpot on the patio instead of the kitchen. Almost every light fixture in our home is equipped with a compact fluorescent, and most are kept off unless really needed. We're currently renting, so making modifications to the house is out of the question, as is any extensive planting for shade.
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

I bought and used my first ones this spring. They still generate heat.

Not being allowed to make mods to the place you live can also be considered a feature :-). Making a deal with a landlord about mods is an option to explore. Hanging rugs on the inside of outside walls can substitute for insulation if you're not allowed to do that stuff. Caulking works for both summer and winter. Duct tape is a gal's best friend. I spent one weekend one winter feeling for leaks. Then I taped it. It made interesting decor but I wasn't cold.
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in dark. If you need light, you need light. I wouldn't get rid of my pets or avoid inviting people over because they add to the heat load.

Quite honestly, I'd rather pay the electric bill and crank up the a/c or furnace. I take only the conservative measures that I find acceptable. Beyond that, my time, effort, personal energy, and personal comfort are of more value to me than hunting down leaks. Besides, the house we're living in is brand, well constructed, and well insulated. There probably isn't much *within reason* that would be worth doing.
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Please trim excess text before replying.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Like you did not do?
Sigh! I'm out of Kleenix; you'll have to get your own and apply it to your nose.
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
If I trim excess text on the complaint email, it wouldn't make the point. How about review several of my other posts? Maybe you can spot what my real posting pattern is? or are you too busy looking for reasons to complain?
NOTE: Please do not quote or atribute people who are busy being complaining jerks. (Guess I didn't do that either?)
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. :-)
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.

Or the screen. At least he knew he was a fraud.
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Put back of refrigerator through an exterior wall. Or put the coils on the bottom ducting in and out through PVC pipe like the new furnaces.
Of course, this is likely to be impractical. But a cute idea. "Oh, them pipes? I didn't get a 90+ furnace, that's just my refrigerator".
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Moving the fridge into a pantry (which doesn't exist in houses anymore) is also another way. Putting yet another hole in a wall will create heating loss in the winter and critter access into the house.
I thought about putting the fridge on the porch but that won't work for winter.

Will venting make the fridge not work? I don't know how they're constructed these days since I'm too weak to turn one upsidedown.
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
If you want to have people ignore your post, rather than scroll past all the stuff they've already read because you haven't learned to edit the post before you send it, be sure to post at the bottom. Much more efficient.

It's not, and never will be, more efficient when the postings are conversations. It is not unusual for me to have 100 going at the same time. It is very usual for three or four drifts of conversation to be within one post. Having a history of a discussion before I reply to it is useful for me, and it gives context to the conversation for those who dropped in for second.
Newsgroups, by design, is a conversation that doesn't happen in realtime.
<pins>
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
Plan B (to get your messages ignored) is to leave multi level forwarding, and plenty of ch icken scratches.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Sure, it's possible but rather pointless.
Harry C.
Ever heard of a remote condenser??

Hey, if the Bride would let me, I'd have a remote condenser for my HH 'fridge. Of course, it would be a commercial 'fridge too....