Efficient use of Air conditioner

But if you walk on a flat sidewalk long enough you will have hot dogs.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
In sci.physics snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

Actually, it was the cost of getting water vapor out of the house that is in contention.

Because that's what it was when I wrote it.
It is called a sample problem.

The volume was "given".

It is a sample problem.
ASHRAE humans may be comfy at that, but over 40% is NOT comfy for me.

If it got to 78%, I would move elsewhere.
--
Jim Pennino

Remove -spam-sux to reply.
snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote in message wrote re:

Maybe not. What Joe's pointing to, I'll bet, is the latent heat of condensation that must be dealt with in the a/c evaporator, on condensing the moisture there. For a given mass of water, that's about half the latent heat of boiling the water.
Almost certainly a significant energy expense, never mind that high humidity indoors is "yucky" (TM) until the water vapor is reduced.
Were you considering only water-damage to house contents other than a/c air-movers? I'd be slower to dismiss.
john
John Barry wrote:

How is that again?????? A new law of physics?

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

You must be young. You will soon learn that with regard to climate control, women are completely out of their minds. There's simply no point in arguing. If she wants to waste money doing the wrong thing, let her.
In my wing of my office building, there are 3 small offices, one of which is mine. Three separate tenants, in other words. The thermostat is in the office next door. Three women work in that office, ranging in age from 30 to 60. At almost any time of year, I couldn't figure out how to dress comfortably because of the huge temperature swings. It got to the point where I brought in a recording thermometer that I use around the garden. In any 8 hour day, the temp would vary as much as 20 degrees. The ladies thought this was funny. Finally, the landlord put a locked box over the thermostat and set it for 72. The ladies swore the temp was all over the place, so the landlord brought in a digital recording thermometer. (Big office park, well equipped). It showed a temp range of about 2 degrees either side of 72. End of problem.
Just give up.
On 20 Jul 2004 07:28:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (tom) wrote:

Depends on what the humidity is outside. If you are brining in cool, dry air, of course the open windows help drop the temperature quicker. If it is humid air, the air conditioner runs more.

What do you mean "which one costs less electricity" in a car? Gas mileage? To this question, I would say who cares? You guys need to find something else to talk about. Just do whatever makes you feel less miserable when you get into the car.

That depends on more than just the temperature difference.
How long would opening the window(s) take to make any significant change in the *total* air volume of the house?
How much 'breeze' through the window can you expect? How constant will it be?
Will it be able to vacate hotter air in *all* parts of the house equally or just mostly in the room(s) with the windows?
How humid it is outside and in? Cooler, humid air is sometimes more uncomfortable than warmer, drier air.
If you're not going to get good air movement throughout most of the house (or at least where people will be), I would likely use the a/c. Even if it doesn't drop the temperature fast, it will still make the air more comfortable by dehumidifying it.

The one that uses less power. ie. No a/c.

Well since the a/c in the car doesn't run on electricity, neither.

The answer, is... C.
Method C: Start the a/c right away, open the windows for a block or two, then close them. That will purge most of the extra-hot, stale air from inside the car, vent most residual moisture from the a/c's evaporator (cooling coil) housing and ductwork and get the evaporator coil cooled down so the air you're now keeping inside is right off a already cold cooling coil.
JMO
Dan O. - Appliance411.com http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=air+conditioner
=~~~~~~
This is Turtle.
Reply split in parts

What Price do you set on your Happiness ? That will be the Price you'll pay for having it your way or not choosing Method B.

What Price do you set on having a enjoyful Drive everywhere you may go ? That will be the price you will pay for not choosing Method B.

Now you have a choice here by Choosing Method B and have a enjoyful life or Choosing Method A and Paying the Ultimate Price on Happiness the rest of your life. I even think your going to pay the Ultima price even asking this question.
TURTLE
x-no-archive:yes
| This is Turtle. | | Reply split in parts | | What Price do you set on your Happiness ? That will be the Price you'll pay for | having it your way or not choosing Method B.
Although this is an interesting quesiton, for a novice like me, Turtle hit it on the head. Would you rather be right/in control or happy?
Bonnie

PROBABLY B.
What you say? Simple..opening the windows will remove some of the warm air, but unless you have a whole house fan pulling like hell, you wont be able to use all that cool air out, and you still have latent heat in the walls, floors, ceiling...furniture...etc..
But my queston is....why are you allowing your air in the home to reach 81F? Set your thermostat and forget it...its cheaper that way..

Again...depends. Personally, my personal work van for example, has these neat little vents in the taillights...fire the AC up, open they go, and out goes the hot air.... And even when I was in CA,I didnt worry about that stuff...I just went on with it...

Why latent heat, ie condensation?

Newton was wrong? :-)
Nick
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (tom) wrote:

If it's like my A/C, the compressor won't run because it's already cool (on the outside).

Constantly not listening to the wife will produce a cold atmosphere of other flavors. Comparing costs of electricity alone ignores the long-term costs.
The best use of a house A/C is to use it with a fan. Nobody believes me when I say that I cool my house with a 5000 BTU A/C and two fans.
/BAH
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Add me to the list. Unless you have a very small house and moderate climate, that small of a unit will do very little. I agree a fan can help immensely with air circulation, you still need a certain amount of capacity to move a given heat load.
If you have a two room cabin, OK, if you have a 2,000 sq. ft. Colonial, you are full of BS.

Ah, well. :-)

I think most people would consider the house small. However, I also know about arranging tree shade, insulation, and do not need the house to be 65 degrees for comfort. 65 is too cold. If I can get the house cooled down below 70 at night, I don't need the A/C to be on at all. I simply shut the windows to keep the heat out and run a fan for circulation. The house doesn't get hot until ~17:00. By then it's usually cool enough outside to cool the house.

capacity
Nah. All you have to do is move the hot air into the room that has the A/C. Voila! Cool house. It helps for that room to have two doors going into two rooms that eventually connect with each other. The rooms aren't configured like spokes in a wheel without a rim.

you
The only thing you have to do is cool the one room, then move the cooled air out and the warmer air in.
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
wrote in message

How do I "arrange tree shade"? Trees in big planters on wheels?

In San Diego, it has been pretty hot, but not too humid, the last few days. We have survived without A/C by running oscillating fans indoors and seeking shade/breeze locations outdoors (except for my retaining-wall project, which is on an unshaded south-facing hill). Upstairs we keep a fan in the south-facing window and a ceiling fan running all the time in the master bedroom. My son's room faces east - a window fan turned on after dark makes that room comparitively frigid.
If things get really bad, we drive down to the grocery store and stand in front of the meat cooler.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:
<snip>
I forgot to comment on heat prevention. Don't use things that generate heat. Light bulbs, computers, TVs, vacuum cleaners (yay!), radios. I haven't figured out how to keep the refrigerator's heat out of the house other than to not open the door.
/BAH
Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in wrote:

IOW, just stop living until the weather cools off. Sorry, not an option!
--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
In sci.physics, Wayne
wrote on Thu, 22 Jul 2004 13:28:05 GMT

There are certain difficulties with high heat and humidity which we nevertheless muddle through; of course another option is simply walking away from the house (after closing it up) and going to the nearest air-conditioned theater (which basically means one pays for the owner's A/C therein by buying a movie ticket), or to a swimming hole (either natural or artificial), which now means a tradeoff between cooling, water exposure, and sun exposure (too much sun sunburn, ouch; waterproof sunblocker will of course help here), or the beach (around here, the Pacific's relatively cool, which means the beach is, too; I don't know if the Atlantic is the same or not but would hope so) or even go on a trip to where it's still winter, if one has a good excuse to, say, purchase a plane ticket to certain parts of Australia (it's winter down there, season-wise), South Africa, or South America below the equator.
Or simply go north enough to where the heat is more bearable. The main problem (AFAIK): mosquitoes in the very far north during summer are reputed to be voracious.
#191, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net
It's still legal to go .sigless.
message

Yesterday we had a break in our cooling routine. An automobile took down a power pole a couple of blocks away, so we were without power until dark. We spent some of the time in the breezy shade watching the power company crews repairing the damage (the pole taken down was right at the boundary of opverhead and underground cables, and the accident sheared off the descenders, so as well as a new pole, a length of the underground cables had to be pulled out of the conduit and new cables fed in). I got a couple of bags of ice from the mini-mart and put the meat, milk and mayo in coolers. Then we all went over to the country club for the afternoon and sat around the pool.

That's an extreme position. I live just fine :-). But you can make living style decisions that will reduce costs. Doing the hot cooking outdoors may be one. Not turning on lights from habit is another. Turning off lights is another. Two 60W light bulbs seem to raise the temp in my living room a couple of degrees. My Dad keeps complaining about how hot it is but still turns on two halogen lights at night. Those things could almost heat the house.