Efficient use of Air conditioner

snip

AND,,edit (snip) the drivel fro the posts ! BTZ

Reply to
bitzah

And just why do you think air conditioners have drip pans?

John Briggs

Reply to
briggs

Guys, Thanks a million for your answers and advices! It's nothing about how to save more money. I just meant to remind my wife "hey, I'm not that stupid, you forgot?" This is kind of once-a-year event. Last time we argued about the pronunciation of a word. It was 16 months ago and loser would be slapped (she proposed that) After we looked it up in our dictionary, she ran away quickly. :)

Reply to
tom

wrote re:

To remove liquid water from walls and furniture? :-)

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

The loser would be slapped? Unless she meant you could spank her, you better get the hell out of there quick, buddy. Next thing you know, she'll be proposing dueling with hatchets.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Ummm, don't think so.

Take a given volume of air at 90 F and 40%.

How much energy does it take to cool the air to say 72 F?

How much energy does it take to cool and condense enough water to get down to 40% at 72 F?

Let's assume the the air comes out of the heat exchanger at 40 F.

The 40 F air gets mixed with the warmer air until the overall temperature is 72.

The cooled and condensed water goes out the drip tube and contributes nothing to further cooling the enclosed area or condensing more water.

It's energy goes to cooling the bush growing under the drip tube.

Without running through the math, I would think getting the water vapor out is the energy expensive part.

Reply to
jimp

Maybe not. What Joe's pointing to, I'll bet, is the latent heat of condensation that must be dealt with in the a/c evaporator, on condensing the moisture there. For a given mass of water, that's about half the latent heat of boiling the water.

Almost certainly a significant energy expense, never mind that high humidity indoors is "yucky" (TM) until the water vapor is reduced.

Were you considering only water-damage to house contents other than a/c air-movers? I'd be slower to dismiss.

john

Reply to
John Barry

How is that again?????? A new law of physics?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

So what will you do with our answers? Do you think you would really accomplish anything showing them to her? Does what anonymous strangers say "prove" anything?

Do you really think you can "win" an argument with your spouse?

-v.

Actually, all these answers might help, but for a sick reason. Some people insist on seeing things in writing, and they're satisfied even if the writers are rank amateurs. My ex was that way. Couldn't trust her own observations.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Add me to the list. Unless you have a very small house and moderate climate, that small of a unit will do very little. I agree a fan can help immensely with air circulation, you still need a certain amount of capacity to move a given heat load.

If you have a two room cabin, OK, if you have a 2,000 sq. ft. Colonial, you are full of BS.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I believe you if you tell me you live in an ice chest.

Reply to
Bruce

Ah, well. :-)

I think most people would consider the house small. However, I also know about arranging tree shade, insulation, and do not need the house to be 65 degrees for comfort. 65 is too cold. If I can get the house cooled down below 70 at night, I don't need the A/C to be on at all. I simply shut the windows to keep the heat out and run a fan for circulation. The house doesn't get hot until ~17:00. By then it's usually cool enough outside to cool the house.

Nah. All you have to do is move the hot air into the room that has the A/C. Voila! Cool house. It helps for that room to have two doors going into two rooms that eventually connect with each other. The rooms aren't configured like spokes in a wheel without a rim.

The only thing you have to do is cool the one room, then move the cooled air out and the warmer air in.

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Reply to
jmfbahciv

How do I "arrange tree shade"? Trees in big planters on wheels?

In San Diego, it has been pretty hot, but not too humid, the last few days. We have survived without A/C by running oscillating fans indoors and seeking shade/breeze locations outdoors (except for my retaining-wall project, which is on an unshaded south-facing hill). Upstairs we keep a fan in the south-facing window and a ceiling fan running all the time in the master bedroom. My son's room faces east - a window fan turned on after dark makes that room comparitively frigid.

If things get really bad, we drive down to the grocery store and stand in front of the meat cooler.

Reply to
Richard Henry

We were talking about a) ventilating a house at night vs b) keeping an AC running. I'm thinking a) is better, as long as we don't have condensation inside the house.

Why 90 F and 40%?

Depends on the volume :-)

Why 40%? Standard ASHRAE humans are comfy at 56% and 80.2 F.

Try math! If your 32x32x8' house has 6K Btu/F of fast capacitance and 400 Btu/h-F of thermal conductance, including 200 cfm of air leaks, and it's

78% and 71 F in the morning, and the outdoor temp hits 92 in the afternoon, with the morning humidity ratio, which is better, a) or b)?

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Turn on a/c in house and leave it on.

Reply to
tflfb

/BAH

Subtract a hundred and four for e-mail.

Reply to
jmfbahciv

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:40ffb685$0$5648$ snipped-for-privacy@news.rcn.com:

IOW, just stop living until the weather cools off. Sorry, not an option!

Reply to
Wayne

Homer Simpson solved the A/C problem by simply extending the area cooled by the refrigerator. He put a tent around the front and opened the door. Of course, it all went horribly wrong...

But maybe that's just because it's a cartoon, and millions of Americans are in fact living in fridge-tent comfort even as we speak.

Reply to
Pyriform

If you walk out on your back porch and don't have enough pancakes to build a fence True or False?

False because bicycles don't have hotdogs with flat sidewalks.

Reply to
Timm Simpkins