Efficiency of Air to Air / Air Exchange / HVAC

Moved into the newly bought house and notice someone had not installed the proper vents on the Air Exchange. I had 2 exhaust vents. Went to the local hardware store and swapped the vent. Great...easy.
Since then my heating bills have sky rocketed. Even after filling in 'gaps' with spray insulation and other DIY jobs. I've come to the conclusion that the air to air system is the problem.
We all know the 'X' pattern of air going trough the machine warming up the cold exterior air before exiting and circulating trough the house. Great... Fresh air! But wait! I'm throwing out heat aren't I??? The system is a few years old yes, but the 'X' pattern is the same as my parents' 2 year old house... WTF.
I've talked about this to my father and he's also noticed that new houses now do not hook-up the intake to the wall vent. They just let the 4" hose hang there. I have to double check if it's the intake or exhaust but this is were I'm not certain what should/could be done. Your feedback is much appreciated.
cln
[...]

If you really have an HRV and BOTH fans are set on exhaust, then you are getting double exhaust and "zero" heat recovery. For heat recovery, one fan needs to be on exhaust and the other on intake. Check this site, where I have posted such information: http://groups.google.com/group/Energy-Conservation-in-Housing
Click on the link for "Homemade HRV (Heat Recovery Ventilator)" to get started. (Go to one of the other links are on that page to see the narrative with diagrams, which are NOT on the Google site). The first diagram shows the schematic of how HRVs operate. Good Luck. Dave Meinert 21 Aug 2007

What do you mean two exhaust vents? You mean two vent hoods with flappers or what? A HRV is not perfectly efficient, but your heating bills should not skyrocket. It should also be balanced so that your house is not negatively or positively pressured excessively. Sounds like you need to call either your builder or an HVAC guy.
marson wrote:

If you have an ERV or HRV unit that exchanges with the outdoors, you NEED to call and HVAC expert. This is an expensive piece of equipment and is not for the DIY.
--
Zyp

Ya I should've tought twice when I sent the post. Its not a HVAC but just an Air exchanger. Not the compressor ones but just the fan.
http://www.tinmanheating.com/images/perfectaire.jpg

Have you measured the outside air temp and the air temp being exhausted outside from the exchanger? If there is a big delta, then you know the exchanger is the source of your high heating bills.
On Aug 18, 6:15 am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I will try this when the temperatures drops. The weather has been the same as the inside.
(Ironically there is a risk of frost! sick that we are only august and I bet we won't even have a white x-mas either)
I will keep you posted.
cln wrote:

Hmmm... you mean like H=Heating, V=VENTILATION, AC=Air Conditioning, You mean like that?
If I'm not mistaken, it is an exhaust VENTILATOR tied to the HVAC system, with a diesicant wheel for performing an energy exchange with the exhausted air.
If the energy wheel becomes overloaded with material or moisture, it won't work.
Call your local HVAC shop, ask if they are familuar with an ERV [Energy Recovery Ventilator] or HRV [Heat Recovery Ventilator] or if they could recommend someone who is.
--
Zyp

Not an HVAC just air exchanger.