Effective, baby friendly way to get rid of flies

Page 1 of 2
Somehow we have a house fly invasion going on right now.
What would be a safe way to kill them all, that would be child and baby friendly. Thanks.
Ignoramus10329 wrote:

Hi, Stick strips. Hang couple of them here and there in the house. Can find them at Dolor stores.

Is that REALLY what they sell there (notice the spelling/typing error)?
:)
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

hardware stores sell "flies bait" that looks like a translucent plastic cup with small holes on top and a powder "drink" mix to attract flies into the cup
just make sure the baby and anyone else cannot reach this and drink it. The drink mix is not toxic, but after flies died in it...
if you find a large concentration of flies at a particular spot, just vacuum them
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:37:31 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus10329

http://www.clusterbuster.com /
Cleaning up the dog mess helps.

Sounds like the voice of experience!
Meanwhile, ther a lot of fly infestations that have nothing whatsoever to do with poor housekeeping.
CWM
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 04:37:31 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
quoth:

4,763 rolls of fly paper, Ig. Jewelcome.
P.S: Stop leaving food around. The single fly which landed in that left thousands of his buddies to clean up after you. ;)
-- Heard of the Frisbee Religion? They believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

I do not know what happened, suddenly we have flies all over.
I will indeed buy fly paper. I am thinking of making some "fly attractant", by, say, wrapping a jar with fly paper and putting a small light bulb inside, or some such.

You can also make a funnel trap with a 2l plastic bottle. cut the bottle off just below where the flare at the top ends. Remove the top. Which should look like a funnel. (works well as one, btw. ;) Place some sort of attractant in the bottle. Place the top back on the bottle, with the narrow part "inside".
here are instructions for a fruit fly trap: http://www.smm.org/sln/tf/t/2literbottle/2literbottle.html only they cut the bottom off and use a butter container. Perhaps easier to empty.
--
May no harm befall you,
flip

You know, it sounds very interesting and educational and I think that I will do it for my son's education, but it seems to be geared for fruit flies, not house flies. Good idea though, thanks.
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:41:07 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus5766

I've used soda botle traps such as that for houseflies (omit the cap completely) and it worked okay. It won't usually catch them by the hundreds, though. If you put something like pig poop in it, it would attract more business, but I don't think that would be so good for indoor use! I put sugar mixed with fruit juice in them and they worked okay to keep the fly population at bay after I got rid of the masses. Cluster flies are a big problem in the northeast for vacation homes. When you arrive and turn the heat up after the house has been cold for a while, the flies come to life and hundreds come out. It has nothing to do with leaving food out, or how clean you keep things.
The reason the bottle trap traps the flies is that they are unable to take off going straight up. They can only take off at an angle.

OK, I have nothing to lose and will make a bottle trap today! I will put some juice there etc.
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:47:45 +0000 (UTC), Ignoramus5766

You can skip the whole part of the instructions about fitting a butter tub anbd film can on the bottom. That's not needed for catching flies.
Place the trap near a sunny window, or hang it beneath a skylight. Flies always try to fly towards sunlight. If you put it in a dark corner, you probably won't catch much.
Happy Hunting!
CWM
On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:52:03 +0000 (UTC), with neither quill nor
quoth:

I'm in Grants Pass, Oregon and my neighbor had an infestation of what seems to have been cluster flies last winter. One day there were no flies in the house, the next day there were over 200 in one window alone. Very strange. Happily, I've never seen them.
-- Heard of the Frisbee Religion? They believe that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down. ---- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
I hope I'm not the only one here old enough to remember fly paper and fly swatters, both of which are still sold in hardware stores and are child-friendly in the right hands, LOL!
Jo Ann
Ignoramus10329 wrote:

I will definitely buy both today. The fly paper, though, does not work well, but it is better than nothing.

Fly swatter.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
Ignoramus10329 wrote:

Some rodent probably died somewhere in your house.
Anyway, in addition to what's been suggested, those electric fly swatters are kinda fun.
If you want to impress people and don't mind a little fly on your hand, use the Boston Swat (I think that's what it is called). Hold your hands about 2 feet apart palms facing each other centered a couple inches over and just a little behind a fly.
When you slap your hands together, the fly will seeming jump right into your hands. Once you get the technique down, you'll have a near 95% kill rate and no mess on the walls. Just wash your hands afterwards. :)
On 21 Jul 2006 09:42:21 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

hey, I will definitely try that!