edges of hardwood floor refinishing question

I am installing new baseboards on a hardwood floor that has previously been refinished. There is a rise in the floor where the old base board was. What is the best way to remove the rise if I prefer not to use shoe molding? I am not at this time refinishing the whole floor.
Thanks in advance for the information,.
Mickey

If it's one board parallel to the wall, you might be able to get a plane in there. otherwise, I think you're stuck with either a big-ass chisel, or a power sander. And if you use the sander, you're going to have to refinish. (actually, no matter what you do, you're going to have to refinish at least the part that you're levelling.)
<< What is the best way to remove the rise if I prefer not to use shoe molding? >>
Go to your tool rental place and pick up an edge sander and get everything level. Then blend in the new finish to the rest of the floor, using a bit of color varnish if needed for a good color match. Last edger I rented was a husky rotary beast that was surprisingly easy to control and worked quite fast. Good luck.
Joe
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comtosspam (Joe Bobst) wrote in

A good sharp scraper blade is a floormans best friend. A scraper will remove a lot of wood quickly and with control.
Sometimes you can also back bevel the base to hide the rise.