Edge detail on drywall question?

Have a customer that wants to change his outside edge on existing drywall with the new look, rounded corners. Done plenty of drywall but never done this. Would it be wiser to take off the metal edging or just apply the new rounded corner on the edge? Not sure how it would look because of the build up of mud already applied to the edge. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance.

I think that you will need to remove the existing corner bead. You may have to cut back some of the drywall as well. Check with the manufacturer. http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/remodeling_for_geeks/2008/04/round-cornerbea.html http://www.drywallschool.com/bullnose.htm http://www.vertri.com/bullnose_cornerbead.html http://www.phillipsmfg.com/products/vbt/bull_cornb.htm http://www.all-wall.com/acatalog/Kraft_Round-it_Tool.html
On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:19:24 -0500, "John Grabowski"
Good links- especially this one.

I put some bullnose in my bathroom and have never been happy with the way the rubber baseboard/cove molding looked wrapping around it. I'm going to look for some of those adapters that ease into a square base.
Jim

Sure you can put it right over existing cornerbead as long as the old bead is solid and isn't cracked and falling off. Just buy vinyle bullnose (8 or 10 ft.) and a can of 3 M drywall adhesive spray to glue it on. Staple where needed. DO NOT NAIL VINYL BULLNOSE...Apply mesh tape down both edges of the bullnose.Do not get mesh tape on the actual bullnose part you see after mudding Just the edge that gets buried in mud to make it stronger..Mix a little Sheetrock Brand Easysand 90 or 45 Setting Type Joint Compound and mud away....Regular joint compound is fine for the second and third coats...Done it MANY times...Good luck...
Thanks, I've been reading a little on it. The build up of mud from the existing metal corner bead won't be a problem? Have you heard of or used that No Coat Product? And have you ever had a problem with it failing. This is a very high end house and don't want any return visits, and how do you treat the baseboads? Do you get the already squared corners or do you let the Trim Carpenter deal with it?
Thanks again.
benick wrote:

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

-snip-
Benick is either mistaken or he is using something I've never seen. If you plan on using bullnose you need to leave room for it. You've either got to remove the old bead or put up new sheetrock over it.
Here's some pictures that show how is way is impossible- http://www.drywallschool.com/bullnose.htm
Jim

Bah Humbug! The grinch is here.
Why would someone want to replace durable metal with cheap plastic that will break when bumped?
I think you already have received a couple of good suggestions if you must do this. :)
--
Colbyt
Hey its not what I want. I don't even like the look. I'm not about to talk this guy out of it. But I agree with you.
Colbyt wrote:

--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Sounds like this can be a challenge without the proper materials and/or special tools. Then there is mesh taping the seams and some hoping that doesn't crack in time. I guess this changes the baseboard and any crown too. Gotta lathe?