EdenPure quartz heater opinion wanted

I heard Paul Harvey advertise this heater on his news program. I looked at this heater on the web (

)and it sounded impressive. They have a heater that is supposed to heat a 1000 square feet and costs $397 with free shipping. It is supposed to be completely safe around kids and pets and cut energy costs significantly. Do any of you have any information or advice/opinion about this heater? I am always leery of a product that I cannot see and touch in a store. Mail order sight unseen causes me some concern. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Tom

Boob bait for suckers. $29 worth of ordinary space heat for $397. Paul Harvey is a pitchman. You just wanna believe, eh?

This is the same guy that sells $29 worth of ordinary boom box for $400. Oh, but it's not a boom box, it's acoustic waves!

Whaddya think pays for that radio time?

Oreck, Dyson, ... don't get me started.

If you need a space heater, go to WalMart.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Quartz heaters are sold for 30-50$ everyday at your local hardware store. Save yourself 350$.

Reply to
m Ransley

"Cut energy costs significantly"? Don't believe that either, because it's demonstrably untrue. Resistive electrical heating is pretty universally the most expensive (in lots of ways) means of heating. Unless you've lots of cheap hydro or wind power, and gas/oil/coal/wood are out of the calculus.

Much 'mo betta is reducing losses. Conservation of resources.

Consider also that electrical space heaters really beat on wiring connections, because of sustained large current draw. IOW, fire hazard.

barry

Plus dat goddamm Dyson spins at what, 100,000 rpm?????? Imagine the repair bill for DAT puppy!! Uh, sorry,ma'am, d' bearings was real spensive..... Proly $30 for labor, $300 for new bearings.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

What the others said. But a cupla more points: Although this unit is f'sure $350+ overpriced, and electricity is indeed usually the more expensive way to go vs. other energy sources, it can be economical in the sense that electricity allows near-infinite *zoning*--ie, one room, or even *part* of a room at a time, for heat. Pure radiant heaters (parabolic dish) are the best for that--Sam's club, rel. low wattages, about $39. Yeah, free shipping.... oh please.....

A lower overall temperature of a unit *might* reduce the temp. differential between floor and ceiling, but proly not a lot. Better is the radiant (parabolic dish) heaters, or even radiant (glow) gas heaters, or ribbon forced air space heaters (often noisy), or how bout this novel idea: Ceiling fans! Ceiling fans are useful in the winter as well as the summer, put'em in reverse, on low. Esp on high ceilings.

Oil-filled units are a relatively low temperature as well (cain't quite sit on them, but...), and therefore safe.

I notice that the ad literature doesn't give watts or current (sheeit, the pics don't even show an *electric cord*--it wasn't until this thread I even KNEW they were electric!!), which would then allow direct comparison to a normal space heater.

*Watts is all you need* to validly compare the heating ability of electric heaters. You can heat up a room just as well with a bunch of *bulbs*, be they incandescant or fluorescant--just get the watts up. In fact, that is how I heat parts of the house/shop in the winter--lotsa lites, ceiling fans. In the summer, I'm always squinting.... :) You yourself are good for 60-75 watts! Which is why a roomful of people is so uncomfortable--hot air notwithstanding. :)

The point about high-wattage heaters being tough on the wiring is an excellent point, esp in older houses (cloth #14 wires), and shittily built new houses. 1500 Watts is about 12.5 amps, right close to the 15 A limit of fuses/breakers. What's nice about regular space heaters, esp. oil-filled and the parabolic glow, is they have two or 3 heat ranges. The oil filled are almost always

600, 900, 1500 watts (5 amps, 7.5 amps, 12.5 amps), and others are varying, say 800/1200, or 750/1500, etc. I always use the lowest setting. The wife always uses the highest. :( constant battle.... Ahm thinkin of re-wiring that heater so that 600 watts is on every switch setting. :) :) :)

Another big scam w/ electric heaters is the "100 % efficient" claim.

**EVERYgoddammTHING** is 100% efficient in terms of *conversion to heat*, INCLUDING gas/oil--IF you were to combust them w/ no venting. The inefficiencies in gas/oil arise because of the requirement for venting, where heat then literally goes up the chimbley. So-called ventless gas heaters, while also being "100% efficient", are awful, imo--high water vapor, distinct fumes--you can always tell when they are on. I, of course, bought two. :(

Dehumidifiers, and steam-based humidifiers, also put out good heat, and can help quite a bit by maintaining proper moisture levels--a bigger deal than often recognized.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

Paul Harvey!

Still around!?

I recall my father driving around out in west texas, back in 1955 or so, listening to Paul Harvey.

ITEM! Those democrats did it again! Now ...

(my father a 100% republican through his death day, probably still is, too. And happy with this current "W" guy!)

ITEM! Something else.

ITEM! Some other (outrageous) thing.

and on and on and on.

David

Reply to
David Combs

Yes, indeed.

BUT:

I find that when I set it up across the room (parabolic means narrow beam, not spreading much if at all), it heats the (horizontal) column of air between me and it -- temp goes up, humididity goes way down.

Thus, for me, I need a 2nd instrument, a fan, on low, just to blow the column of air off to one side.

Works fine.

David

Yes, makes it a "personal heater".

Just like a Voronado fan is a "personal fan" (set up across the room, narrow column of air blown, not spreading much.

David

Reply to
David Combs