Edenpure heaters?

Anybody have any dealings with these? I am looking at an ad for them, which makes it sound interesting. I'm looking for a heater for my garage, and like the idea of no flames/sparks. It is quite pricy to just order and hope, at $400 for the 1000 sf model that I would need. Any thoughts or experiences on these? Thank you, Big E

Reply to
big e lewis

Its a 39$ heater for 400$

Reply to
ransley

The ad is doing its job, then... :(

They're nothing special. Any radiant heater of same rating will do as well.

Reply to
dpb

It is a 1500 watt heater. There are many 1500 watt heaters that will do the same exact job. 1500 watts, not matter the source, is 1500 watts or 5100 Btu of heat. You can pay $29, $290, or $590 and you will still get the same exact amount of heat from a 1500 watt heater.

As for heating 1000 square feet, I doubt that very much. It may take a little chill off a 60 degree room, but it is not going to replace that

50,000 Btu heater your house has and needs when the outside temperature drops to -10 degrees.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Last year I ordered one. It didn't keep my 660 square foot great room warm so I returned it (there was a free trial period). I took a little doing to get my money refunded but eventually I got it credited to my credit card. I now use a $50 Holmes quartz radiant heater placed about four feet in front of me for cold days when the furnace is off.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

A biased opinion:

You get what you pay for Just Like a Printer and it's cartridges. You buy a cheap printer, and pay a ton for Ink. So in this case the Quartz Infrared Heaters that are similar to EdenPure or ComfortZone save you money on Electric Bills or your Gas or Oil Heat which is very expensive these days. For example we save $100month for 5 winter months, we actually pay for the unit. So that is why these Units are expensive. They don't heat the Air, they heat object, that is why they save energy. Whenever new technology is introduced it is usually expensive, and there are a lot of skeptics.

I was one of them, but our friends sold a ton of them last year from Edenpure Heaters and came up with their own. We decided to start selling them after trying out the product our self. Our website for the Infrared Heaters is

mytypes14

They are no different than any other _radiant_ heater, despite the high price and hoopla.

Whether they can save anybody any money by allowing the central heating to be used less is an individual usage thing that depends on a whole lot of issues, most which have to do with reducing the amount of actual space heating used, not the the actual alternate heating source.

_IF_ (the proverbial "big if") you can do that (reduce room heating on a room basis or cut thermostat back significantly if not) and you're able to be in a room in direct line-of-sight sufficiently enough of the time, it just may be possible. If otoh, the heater is in the room but you're in a location that you're hidden (say behind a kitchen counter), then other stuff may be getting toasty, but you may well be quite chilly yourself.

In short, they high-priced spreads are a scam, short and simple as compared to other similarly rated units.

The ad BS is simply that...

--

Reply to
dpb

Apples & oranges. Any radiant heater will provide similar savings when compared with a space heater. Try comparing two 1500w radiant heaters.

You can't rewrite physics. Radiant electric heat is 100% efficient and works exactly the same. There is zero difference in the heating capability of radiant heaters with similar features (fans, power swivels, etc). A 1500w ribbon heater works the same as a 1500w ceramic heater, etc.

Radiant heat is not a new technology and the reason they are expensive is the poor state of basic education in this country, not because they work any better.

Glad you like it and wish you well, but you aren't exactly unbiased then, are you?

-- "Tell me what I should do, Annie." "Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars

Reply to
Rick Blaine

Aren't the radiant & ceramic heaters you buy at the store hot to the touch? My understanding is that the EdenPure type heaters are NOT hot to touch. If that's true, I think that makes them safer to use in a close environment.

Reply to
LongSam

The coil in edenpure is enclosed , if you really are worried an electric oil filled unit would be best and since the element is cooled by oil, it should outlast anything, modern units at stores often have a switch that turns them off if tipped. I saw an eden crap tv add and they lied saying other heaters "burn air and lower humidity" in fact raising air temp lowers humidity.

Reply to
ransley

I have had an oil filled heater for 25 years and it still works perfectly. It does get warm to the touch but not dangerously hot. I tried an Edenpure heater and it couldn't keep my 8000 cubic foot living room warm so I sent it back.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

But there's nothing inherent with an Edenpure heater that does this. Any heater kept on low or designed to be touch safe would do the same.

My issue with Edenpure is that they are claiming things that are physically impossible.