Ebay Advice

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 7 May 2004 23:11:03 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

And your point is ???????????????
By the way, I quit using Ebay several years ago. Sooner or later everyone figures out there are few, if any bargains on Ebay. I guess you still got to learn that.

There are bargains to be had on Ebay, it's just a matter of WHAT you're looking for and what you're willing to pay for it. I just completed 4 "buying" auctions on Ebay and, conservatively, I paid altogether less that 20% of the actual retail values for the items I bought, all of which were "NIB".
As with ANY auction, patience is a key ingredient. If one "misses" out on a particular item today, chances are that a similar item will show up on Ebay in the immediate future, at least in most instances I have found that to be true.
So, one can make "blanket" statements all day long, however, they may or may not hold to be true except for that particular individual. And what it boils down to is simple, one either likes or dislikes Ebay. It's no different then going to a flea market. I've seen people pay above retail for an item at a flea market, thinking that since they got it at a flea market they got "such a deal"...
Well, enough said, each to their own I reckon...
Dr. John Ivy
On 09 May 2004 11:58:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnospam (Drivy19) wrote:

Yeah, but there is a big difference at a flea market. At least you get to touch, hold and see the item, not just a photo and some words. I HAVE gotten a few bargains on Ebay, even after the bloated shipping costs. But I have gotten some real trash. I paid over $100 for one item that was nothing but junk, and not sold as advertised. I have also gotten several other items that were junk. In the end, I never saved one cent. The defective and incomplete items made up for any savings I got on other items. Add to that the hours wasted on Ebay, the hassle of writing letters to the seller, mailing payment, the cost of money orders, or cost to use Paypal (which I also no longer use), and I come out on the losing end.
I'd rather spend a few bucks on gas, and go to a second hand store, or just buy new items right from the store.
I guess everyone on the internet eventually gets sucked into the Ebay game. Some stay, and really believe they are getting bargains, because they never look at the WHOLE picture. It's the same with people that spend $50 a week on lottery tickets, and after doing that for one full year, they win $1000. They think they are big winners. If only if they realized that they spent $50 times 52 weeks = $2600 to win that $1000.
Some of us look at the WHOLE picture regarding Ebay, and we grow up, and stop using Ebay. Others never bother to to look at the WHOLE picture, and compare everything they bought, and hence only consider the GOOD bargains, and never take into account the BAD ones. These people never grow up, and will continue to lose money by shopping Ebay. If they are real lucky, they might break even in the end. There are no winners on Ebay, except some of the sellers, and the Ebay company is the BIG WINNER !!!!

I've ONLY had one problem "deal" on Ebay, and that was with a Canadian company whose item description was inaccuate, "Arbitration", through Ebay, at THEIR expense, resulted in the problem being resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
Now, I've bought quite a number of items through Ebay, from companies and individuals, overseas and domestic, and with that one exception, have been satisfied with the results...
AND, as the saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen..."
@aol.comnospam says...

This only happens if the seller agrees to arbitration, AND agrees to a solution. An unscrupulous seller can stonewall, claiming the item is exactly as described, and eBay will do nothing. Case in point:
I bought a used commercial espresso machine which the seller advertised as "mint condition", "perfect operating condition" and "clean throughout". The seller had completed over 1,000 sales with only 2 negative comments. He provided photographs of the item and it looked good. He was also a "Square Trade" member (agrees to describe items accurately and to voluntary arbitration, in advance). The price was very good for the particular machine in the condition described.
When the item arrived it was 3 weeks late, filthy, inoperative, dented and scratched. A close look at the photos on eBay showed that the scratches and dents were barely visible if you knew where to look, but were rendered almost unnoticeable by out-of-focus photos and either retouching or the clever use of lens filters.
I took extensive photos and sent them to the seller, documenting all of the problems, and asked for a refund. He refused. I asked for a significant discount. He refused. I asked him to go to arbitration through "Square Trade". He agreed. I sent the photos to Square Trade, eBay and PayPal along with my complaint. The upshot was that the seller simply said that the item was as described when he sent it, therefore, the damage must have occurred after I received the item. He also argued that since I had disassembled the item to show how filthy it was inside, I had caused it to be inoperative.
Square Trade's response was something to the effect that this is a "he said/she said" situation, and since the seller had agreed to arbitration but can't agree on a remedy, there is nothing they can do. eBay and PayPal didn't want to get involved. Case closed.
Don't trust eBay, PayPal or Square Trade to protect you from dishonest sellers. If they want to screw you, they will. eBay, PayPal or Square Trade will act ONLY if the seller never sends the item, or if the seller sends a different item than advertised. The only protection you have against receiving an inoperative, damaged or broken item is the HONESTY OF THE SELLER.
Rick