eave vent rate

Am reroofing now & adding ridge vent, so need to know my eave air flow. Have exposed 4x6 cedar rafters with 1x6 between them - no soffit. Each 1x6 has 3 (2" diam) holes backed with wire screen. In theory, I would think I have 3 x 6.28 sq in air flow reduced by the wire screen (50%?) per 1x6 board. The 'coons & squirrels have gotten through the screen multiple times over the years, so I've stapled a standard metal 4x16 undereave vent (air flow rated at 28 sq in each) to the backside of each 1x6. Now what do I have?

Reply to
Diane

Attic Ventilation rule...

Area of ceiling adjacent to the attic divided by 300 for a home less than 20 years old. (divide by 150 for older homes)

Take resulting square ft and divide by 2

This will give you the required square feet of upper and matched reqired ventilation are for lower ventilation.

Example: 2000 sq ft of ceiling / 300 = 6.7

6.7 / 2 = 3.3

The example home needs 3.3 square ft (480 sq inches) of upper ventilation and the same for lower ventilation.

TAB Dude

Reply to
TAB Dude

Explain this please. It's such a blanket (batt?) statement that I don't understand what you mean.

RicodJour

Thanks for looking, TAB Dude, but that's not the question. I think I know what my target *should* be. What I need to know is what rate I'm *now* getting for the eave part after combining the 2" holes & the metal eave vent.

Reply to
Diane