easy-to-answer fridge question!

Hello,
I've recently acquired a used refrigerator from a friend. She said that I should let it sit for at least 20 or 24 hours before I hook it up, but I have looked online and nowhere does it say that. What's actually up?
Thanks much, Alex
Alex,
After a refrigerator is moved it is a good idea to wait before turning it on to allow the oil that the condenser uses to settle down into the condenser. So, turn the fridge thermostat to "off", do all of the hook up, and wait a day, then turn the thermostat to the normal setting which you intend to use. 24 hrs. seems like overkill but waiting this long would be safe.
Dave M.

If it was transported laying down, that would be true. If not, not a problem. any oil that would have been disturbed in a little tilting is already settled by the time you read this.
Piston compressors such as in some refrig don't pump liquid. If you transport a fridge on the side, there is a chance some of the lubricating oil will get into the piston.
Upright for 24 hours gives it a chance to drain out of the piston. I have personally seen fridges which were ruined by the "on the side" transportation.
Doesn't seem to be a problem with AC, or dehumidifiers, or other equipment. Wonder why fridge compressors are so persnikety?
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.