easy question

I bought a 5 gallon container of primer since I'm going to be doing a lot of painting over the next year.
Do I find a big stick and stir a lot or is there a (cheap) mechanical stirrer that will do a better job?
Geez...can't they homogenize these things?
thanks, bonnie
Bonnie Jean wrote:

I have a discarded laboratory stirrer that fits on my electric drill. Maybe you can find something like this.
Frank

Even the big box stores carry 'em. but go to your local Ace & ask for a drill mixer- less than $5--
Jim

In the same department, probably the same aisle, where you got that big tub of pint, you'll find something similiar to this:
http://www.toolmix.com/browse/product.asp?gidX8&pidS120
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Twenty freaking four quid?!? Ohhhhhhh... "DeWalt"
I was thinking about getting a wire coat hanger and bend it into a shape for stirring, stick it on the end of my electric drill at a slow speed and giving it a go. Not the best but free of charge and better than stirring by hand. Or even just a long piece of dowelling and nail a paddle shape on the end.

Actually, I use a coat hanger wire in a drill all the time and it works great! Just bend the part that goes in the paint can in a zig- zag shape with pliers. You just have to take a little time and care to get it to spin relatively balanced on axis.
To clean off the wire, spin it at high speed in an empty paint can.
on 10/26/2007 3:33 PM S said the following:

Instructions http://www.ronhazelton.com/tips/Paint_Stirrer.htm
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Note the words I used in my post: "something similiar to this". My guess is that most paint stores or borgs don't carry the DeWalt model, but something much cheaper.
Besides, their price was only nine freaking teen quid. :-)

That's roughly 40 bucks for something to stir a can of paint? As said you can make something; and/or for smaller cans of paint I've used a bent coat hangar, piece of bent heavy fence wire and/or a single left over stirrer from an old food hand mixer! Pays not throw anything away btw. IIRC one guy cut off part of the handle of an old large serving spoon and chucked that in an electric hand drill to stir paint.
Yeah, but then they'd have to pasteurize it, too.
--

Christopher A. Young
.

"Bonnie Jean" < snipped-for-privacy@cableone.net> wrote in message

Some brands seems to be better homogenized than others. What do you mean by painting a lot? If you mean a few five gallon containers, just use the free wooden stick for the 5 gallon cans. Otherwise, invest in a paint mixer for the five gallon cans: (Amazon.com product link shortened)&Go.y=6
You will also need a good drill with a 1/2" chuck too. I use this, strong and cheap: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberD790
Another thing and its cheap is that you pour the paint into an empty five gallon can and than back again to the other one in conjunction with steering to get a real good mix. I do this with all the cans to prevent color variations from various batches of paint.
Thanks for the tips everyone