Easy Fix For Strange Door Opener Problem

The Chamberlain garage door opener(model not readily available)for my wife' s single width garage door suddenly started going back up when it was just about 18 inches from complete closure. It went back up, but the obstructio n sensor causes the opener light to flash, and the light never flashed when it did its errant going up. I checked to see if the obstruction sensor was working and it always reversed the door AND flashed the light.

I disconnected the door from the mechanism and raised and lowered it with n o signs of binding anywhere in the complete up and down travel. Then I not iced the door seemed to be going down with more force than I had expected i f it were well balanced by the two separate springs, one on each side of th e door. The door was not wet, nor were there any changes to anything that I could tell.

I had a little space between the upper end of each spring and the terminati ng end of the cable going thru the pulleys when the door was fully up, so I took the cable off and put it back on so the spring was more fully extende d as the door moved downward. I could tell a slight difference (reduction) in the propensity of the door to move down. Cycling the door repeatedly fa iled to trigger the upward motion. So, something in the opener sensed the door was too much of a downward load. Now I have to see if I can find the code name/letter on the springs so I can replace them, or at least have the springs available just in case.

Simple solution for an annoying problem.]

Reply to
hrhofmann

No manual? Sounds like limit switch(if there is) needs readjusting. Mine has software setting ie just push buttons to program it. Some has micros switch(old openers), sohas pots to turn. If no manual download one.

Another possibility if it started doing it with season change, your sun light. I always install safety beam receiver on a side where sun light won't interfere. Winter comes, sun light angle changes, it can happen. Then you have to switch around the position of sensor transmitter and receiver. Do you have swing type or roll up type door? Be CAREFUL with springs, it can even kill you.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

[...]

This was totally different from the reversal that happens when the obstruct ion sensor thinks there is something wrong. Also, this happened during day light hours and after dark, with various temperatures. It has now been a f ew days since I tightened up on the springs and there have been non more pr oblems, so I guess things are fixed for now.

Reply to
hrhofmann