East Coast and snow

Now do you people understand what we go thru in WNY on a daily basis? I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day.

I must say it's nice and quiet around here. I'm in a flight path about 20 miles from the airport. Nothing is coming into the city even tho we aren't affected by this storm.

We've had 2 feet before and it's just an inconvenience of clearing off the car and taking a few extra minutes to get to work. Our county gets right out there as soon as it looks bad and plows/salts the streets. They keep going all night if they have to.

Of course NYC and Boston are larger cities than us. I do feel sorry for them, except I have a small chuckle that wants to call out.... You are babies!! he he

On my way home I saw 2 teen girls walking with thin clothes and tops slouched down with bare shoulders exposed. What is that! The wind chill is 12 degrees with 30 MPH gusts. I stopped the car and offered an extra jacket I keep in the car. They were laughing and said No. I wondered if they were Hi on something. Marina

Reply to
Marina

we understand what. what we don't understand is why.

regards, charlie phx, az (where it's currently 63F, or 60F with windchill)

Reply to
chaniarts

"chaniarts" wrote in news:ifb48s$pjq$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Because of Lake effect snow. The way the winds come across the lake and we get dumped on. Usually it's heavy wet snow. BTW, we live over 400 miles from the east coast, close to Niagara Falls.

I just watched on the weather channel about Yumz, AZ. How hot it is. OMG, if I saw sunny days as many as Yuma has, my skin would be burned off and my eyes burned out like lasers. argh. Marina

Reply to
Marina

whoosh.

the why referred to why chose to live there in that type of weather, not why does it occur.

once you get used to it, you can work outside during the day at 110, when the humidity is in the single digits. the 330 days of sunshine/year are a benefit. we do have a very high rate of skin cancer as a result though.

Reply to
chaniarts

"h" wrote in news:ifb6h8$46g$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

errr, you must be Hi on something,too. he he he I guess if they hardly have any plow equipment, it must seem like a blizzard.

I used to live in Cincinnati. Our town only had one snow plow. If it snowed more than a couple inches, people went into a panic. In our family we all just laughed to ourselves, cuz we lived in WNY all our lives, except for the one year. They practically ended every sentence with "at". Such as "where's it at?". Anytime we went out to a restaurant, they served cole slaw. I said I lived in NY state and all the kids in school immediately thought of NYC and wanted to know if I went to parites every weekend. When I said No, it's just like here, they just stared at me. Marina

Reply to
Marina

Certainly. That's why we moved from Vermont to Alabama. ;-) Even we had snow yesterday, though a perfect snow - only on "green" things.

So do I, but not using the same words. ;-)

Now MOM!

Reply to
krw

re: "I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day."

Oh bull...

Where on the Lake Ontario shore line do you live that you are plowing at least once a day? Here's the 7-day snow fall for the WNY Lake Ontario shore line. There hasn't been plowable snow in well over a week. Heck, there's barely been *measurable* snow for most of the shore line since a few weeks ago.

I live in WNY also, less than 2 miles from the lake.

Sure, we can handle more snow than the big cities, but don't exaggerate. We don't go through it on "daily basis".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Marina" wrote

Irrelevant. You have snow clearing gear. They also sell snow tires and chains where you are.

Try it down south where they do not have these things, or people trained to drive on ice and snow.

18 inches in my part of Norfolk, measures actually 20 in the front and road.

Well good on you. Ours are too. They have almost finished the interstates. They have been non-stop since the 25th. We just don't have many of them. Radio says they have the airport clear now while most others are closed so that seems to be getting alot of traffic. They start on the side roads tomorrow, probably from the sound of it, around 3am.

The last time we had one like this, we finally got ploughed on the 5th day and all it did was block our cars in until you took a hammer or ax to cut your way through the pile. I live *inside* the city, not rural.

The worst problem we have here isn't the snow. It's idiots from up north who can't drive local speed and end up rear ending other cars or causing accidents as they try to zip around folks. Earlier today, the radio was warning non-locals that the police can and ARE ticketing people going faster than the rest. IE: 25mph was a ticket on the interstate (now they say you can go up to 40? Largely cleared except the bridges).

A few years ago there was a horrific accident. NY state lady with her 3 kids in her 4 wheel drive backended a van with 8 people. She was the only survivor.

Your humor eludes me when the conditions are completely different.

Reply to
cshenk

I lived for a few years in Cleveland and remember lake effect snows. I recall a 2 X difference between east and west sides of town. I also remember a measurable snow in mid June.

I saw a snow map for Buffalo and recall little snow around the Niagra river but places with over 100 inches nearby. There are maps around:

Frank

We are getting hit pretty bad here on the coast of Maine as well...Here anything less than a foot is called flurries but this one is pretty bad...About 16 inches SO FAR and very windy (35-50 MPH) making it near impossible to see and creating big drifts as fast as you clear them...

Reply to
benick

You can put on clothes untill you are comfortable in the cold.

Can't take off enough to be comfortable when it's hot

I've lived in both Up to 115-120 with 98%+ humidity in Livingstone Zambia, and down to (occaisionally)35 below in Ontario.

I'll take the cold, most days.

ther than October/November (and sometimes into December, until the rains came) when it was scorchingly hot, though, I DID enjoy the central African weather. Up on the Tonga plateau, 4000-5000 feet above sea level, even the hot months were bearable (and not nearly as humid)- but I was stuck down by Mosi-o-Tunya - the world's largest humidifier

Reply to
clare

And less than 6 miles from the lake you get a LOT less than 6-12 miles in.

Reply to
clare

I now live in the banana belt of Colorado. 50 degrees today. Could have gone motorcycle trail riding if others were off work. Moved here from the high country (10,000 feet) that I lived and worked for 13 years. 300 inches of yearly snow and temps down to minus 35. Worked outside and some days were below zero. However it was the best job I ever had and enjoyed it. But preferred that to the 100 degrees we get some times in the summer here WW

Reply to
WW

Unless we get lake effect.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"cshenk" wrote in news:Kv-dndt7s9BNrITQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

What?! You just have to make the best of it. And I never wrote anything about the south. They/you don't expect the blizzards. It was NYC that should take it in stride. Please, go have a hot chocolate and rest. p.s. send me your address and I'll drive down to plow you out. Marina

Reply to
Marina

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ifblab$e1f$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

85? Me thinks a typo. Live where? Gates?

For us it was 6 - 12 inches per day, every day. Some days it was only 8 inches. It wouldn't stop. Glad I don't live near Sodus. Fairport and Penfield hardly saw anything. As well as my friends in the Finger Lakes hardly anything.

Just heard on the news we went over the highest on record for December.

Well the only reason I wrote the first message was I was listening to the weather channel who were so crazy about snow in NYC. geesh, they aren't in the south where they aren't used to snow. It was like then were annoucing the end of days. Marina

Reply to
Marina

"WW" wrote in news:W56dneTBz5rgwoTQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com:

That sounds great. Yeah, the mountains. Nice in the spring/fall. But winter....ack!. What is the banana belt? Marina

Reply to
Marina

"chaniarts" wrote in news:ifb90e$aht$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I grew up here. We get sick of it because we know what's coming. lol.

Reply to
Marina

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:ifblea$efn$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

When I was in the Badlands I thought bugs were on me all the time. Oh, it was the dry heat.

Reply to
Marina

Yes, YOU are full of hot air.

Just because it's not by you, it doesn't exist? You're dumb. No wonder I have you KF and only saw your message from a reply somebody else made.

So what. You should know how the snow bands fluctuate.

We did. Not this past week,tho. It's been quiet. Send me your address and I'll put it in the truck bed and dump it in your driveway. Marina

Reply to
Marina