East Coast and snow

Page 1 of 2
Now do you people understand what we go thru in WNY on a daily basis? I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day.
I must say it's nice and quiet around here. I'm in a flight path about 20 miles from the airport. Nothing is coming into the city even tho we aren't affected by this storm.
We've had 2 feet before and it's just an inconvenience of clearing off the car and taking a few extra minutes to get to work. Our county gets right out there as soon as it looks bad and plows/salts the streets. They keep going all night if they have to.
Of course NYC and Boston are larger cities than us. I do feel sorry for them, except I have a small chuckle that wants to call out.... You are babies!! he he
On my way home I saw 2 teen girls walking with thin clothes and tops slouched down with bare shoulders exposed. What is that! The wind chill is 12 degrees with 30 MPH gusts. I stopped the car and offered an extra jacket I keep in the car. They were laughing and said No. I wondered if they were Hi on something. <sigh> Marina
Marina wrote:

we understand what. what we don't understand is why.
regards, charlie phx, az (where it's currently 63F, or 60F with windchill)
september.org:

Because of Lake effect snow. The way the winds come across the lake and we get dumped on. Usually it's heavy wet snow. BTW, we live over 400 miles from the east coast, close to Niagara Falls.
I just watched on the weather channel about Yumz, AZ. How hot it is. OMG, if I saw sunny days as many as Yuma has, my skin would be burned off and my eyes burned out like lasers. argh. Marina
Marina wrote:

whoosh.
the why referred to why chose to live there in that type of weather, not why does it occur.
once you get used to it, you can work outside during the day at 110, when the humidity is in the single digits. the 330 days of sunshine/year are a benefit. we do have a very high rate of skin cancer as a result though.

You can put on clothes untill you are comfortable in the cold.
Can't take off enough to be comfortable when it's hot
I've lived in both Up to 115-120 with 98%+ humidity in Livingstone Zambia, and down to (occaisionally)35 below in Ontario.
I'll take the cold, most days.
ther than October/November (and sometimes into December, until the rains came) when it was scorchingly hot, though, I DID enjoy the central African weather. Up on the Tonga plateau, 4000-5000 feet above sea level, even the hot months were bearable (and not nearly as humid)- but I was stuck down by Mosi-o-Tunya - the world's largest humidifier

When I was in the Badlands I thought bugs were on me all the time. Oh, it was the dry heat.

september.org:

I grew up here. We get sick of it because we know what's coming. lol.

On 12/27/2010 6:49 PM, Marina wrote:

I lived for a few years in Cleveland and remember lake effect snows. I recall a 2 X difference between east and west sides of town. I also remember a measurable snow in mid June.
I saw a snow map for Buffalo and recall little snow around the Niagra river but places with over 100 inches nearby. There are maps around:
http://flowingdata.com/2007/09/27/misleading-map-of-buffalo-snow /
http://tinyurl.com/2bp3yfu
september.org:

Rochester,or anywhere near Ransomville? I used to have relatives in the latter.

the Buffalo area gets some lake effect snow,depending on the winds,but it's the "southtowns" that get most of the lake-effect snow. Hamburg,etc. sometimes the lake effect snow gets as far north as the Tonawandas.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

errr, you must be Hi on something,too. he he he I guess if they hardly have any plow equipment, it must seem like a blizzard.
I used to live in Cincinnati. Our town only had one snow plow. If it snowed more than a couple inches, people went into a panic. In our family we all just laughed to ourselves, cuz we lived in WNY all our lives, except for the one year. They practically ended every sentence with "at". Such as "where's it at?". Anytime we went out to a restaurant, they served cole slaw. I said I lived in NY state and all the kids in school immediately thought of NYC and wanted to know if I went to parites every weekend. When I said No, it's just like here, they just stared at me. Marina

Certainly. That's why we moved from Vermont to Alabama. ;-) Even we had snow yesterday, though a perfect snow - only on "green" things.

So do I, but not using the same words. ;-)

Now MOM!

re: "I live on the Lake Ontario shore line. Plow, plow, plow at least once each day and several days 2 or 3 times a day."
Oh bull...
Where on the Lake Ontario shore line do you live that you are plowing at least once a day? Here's the 7-day snow fall for the WNY Lake Ontario shore line. There hasn't been plowable snow in well over a week. Heck, there's barely been *measurable* snow for most of the shore line since a few weeks ago.
http://tinyurl.com/WNY-7-Day
I live in WNY also, less than 2 miles from the lake.
Sure, we can handle more snow than the big cities, but don't exaggerate. We don't go through it on "daily basis".
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:15:45 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

And less than 6 miles from the lake you get a LOT less than 6-12 miles in.
On Dec 27, 9:56pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Unless we get lake effect.
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 20:16:37 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

But GENERALLY, lake effect is worse 6-12 miles in from the lake. At least iwt works that way coming in off Georgian bay and Lake huron and Erie
On Dec 28, 10:41pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And there are times when only the lake shore gets snow...and the guy on TV calls it lake effect. Go figure...

Yes, YOU are full of hot air.

Just because it's not by you, it doesn't exist? You're dumb. No wonder I have you KF and only saw your message from a reply somebody else made.

So what. You should know how the snow bands fluctuate.

We did. Not this past week,tho. It's been quiet. Send me your address and I'll put it in the truck bed and dump it in your driveway. Marina
On 12/27/10 11:42 PM, Marina wrote:

I rest my case. Thanks for making it so easy.
You can't say "what we go thru in WNY on a *daily basis*" and "Plow, plow, plow at least once *each day*" and then turn around and say "Not this past week, tho."
"A daily basis" means "every day".
"At least once each day" means just that: "At least once *each* day".
Sure, we get more snow, more often in WNY. No argument. However, to claim it happens "on a daily basis" and then tell me that *I'm* full of hot air makes you wrong twice.

"Marina" wrote

Irrelevant. You have snow clearing gear. They also sell snow tires and chains where you are.
Try it down south where they do not have these things, or people trained to drive on ice and snow.

18 inches in my part of Norfolk, measures actually 20 in the front and road.

Well good on you. Ours are too. They have almost finished the interstates. They have been non-stop since the 25th. We just don't have many of them. Radio says they have the airport clear now while most others are closed so that seems to be getting alot of traffic. They start on the side roads tomorrow, probably from the sound of it, around 3am.
The last time we had one like this, we finally got ploughed on the 5th day and all it did was block our cars in until you took a hammer or ax to cut your way through the pile. I live *inside* the city, not rural.

The worst problem we have here isn't the snow. It's idiots from up north who can't drive local speed and end up rear ending other cars or causing accidents as they try to zip around folks. Earlier today, the radio was warning non-locals that the police can and ARE ticketing people going faster than the rest. IE: 25mph was a ticket on the interstate (now they say you can go up to 40? Largely cleared except the bridges).
A few years ago there was a horrific accident. NY state lady with her 3 kids in her 4 wheel drive backended a van with 8 people. She was the only survivor.
Your humor eludes me when the conditions are completely different.

What?! You just have to make the best of it. And I never wrote anything about the south. They/you don't expect the blizzards. It was NYC that should take it in stride. Please, go have a hot chocolate and rest. p.s. send me your address and I'll drive down to plow you out. Marina