Easiest way to ground a computer?

The electrical wiring in my house is not grounded, although all the outlets are three prong. I have a lot of equipment like air conditioners, fax machines, printers, computers, routers, etc. What would be the easiest way to ground one or two of my outlets?

Can I string a wire over the grounding prong on the surge protector plug and then run the wire out of my windows to the ground and then impale the ground with a coat hanger attached to the wire?

Or can I just wrap the wire around the painted radiator pipe which runs to the upstairs tenant's radiator? This is close to the outlets.

Thanks!

Reply to
Julie P.

Code prohibits the use of coat hangers for the grounding of more than one outlet.

Reply to
Matt

Thanks, but I don't care about the code. Everything in this house violates code anyway and I need a quick and cheap solution.

Reply to
Julie P.

Oh. Well ask Doug then.

He knows all about tricity.

Reply to
Matt

It's not that I don't care about code, it's that this house already violates so many times, that it would be pointless to adhere to it anymore.

Reply to
Julie P.

Golly, it sure sounds like a swell house.

Best of luck with that computer project, Jules.

Reply to
Matt

Were you born stupid, or have you become that way over time?

Reply to
Dan C

Sure, a steel coathanger, but brass or aluminum coathangers have no limit. (wood coathangers can ground only switches.)

Reply to
toller

blah blah blah. Go troll somewhere else.

Reply to
Julie P.

Methinks ou are either a wise guy trying to put us on or an ignoranus being serious.

Which is it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Assuming things are as screwed up in your house as you say, what problem is it you are really trying to solve? What is the point of this whacky ground?

Reply to
John Harlow

Hi, I won't live in a place like that. But as long as you know it, wrapping is not enough, you need a clamp type ground connector. Sure the radiator is grounded? Must be VERY old building. Ever heard of ground loop which may create more problem than not having ground at all. As long as you know. Safety always first. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

First of all, many many homes do not have grounded outlets.

Second, I've seen other people attach a wire and run it out the window to the ground.

Third many people attach the wire to a cold water pipe.

So I'm looking for solutions, not sarcasm.

Reply to
Julie P.

What would you do though if you were looking at houses to rent? Pull out a receptacle at each one you visit to see if it is grounded?

I am not sure, that is why I was asking. If I get ambitious I will simply run a ground wire form the receptacle to the neutral bus bar on the panel. But I do not want to do something where it takes too much time since it is not my house and it would only be a temporary set up (there is no way I would improve the house and then just leave it after I move out). If I happen to add another circuit or two for my office, I could just add the ground wires then.

Thanks Tony. It was built in the 1800's.

J.

Reply to
Julie P.

Julie

To get an earth ground, you must pound a ten foot copper coated ground rod into the ground and clamp a wire to it. For a 20 amp circuit, the ground wire should be 12 gauge. In a building as old as yours, you could also attach the ground wire to the metal water pipe where it enters the building. Make sure you sand off any paint or corrosion, you must ground to bare metal. Use a clamp, don't just wrap the wire around the pipe.

Pay no attention to Matt. That is just his idea of humor, making trouble for other people. He likes to belittle people who call him nasty names, but there are no nice names for Matt. The more I hear from him, the more I am convinced of that.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Oh, that's a great come-back!

Another example of your intelligence, I guess. Idiot.

Reply to
Dan C

Where do you live?

I would report that to the nearest building inspector, if I ever saw it.

That's the proper way to do it.

So attach a ground bus to the cold water pipe, with solder. Not the "painted radiator pipe", you ignorant bitch.

Reply to
Dan C

what you propose is pointless. 'ground' is relative. without your electrical service being 'grounded' to the same ground as the coathanger its just a floating ground. same as if you just used a pair of snippers and cut the third prong off the plug.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

None of this answers my original question: WHY do you feel you need to do this?

What benefit do you think you will gain from this ground?

Reply to
John Harlow

Julie P., I'd like you to meet USENET READER... USENET READER, meet Julie. P!

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud©