Easiest, simplest top loader washer that one can repair themselves?

I'm in market for cheap top loader washer..... live alone so it wont be used a lot.
However, I'm curious if any brands are more "modular" or easier to self-repair than others?
Does a $400 Whirlpool washer have direct drive ( no belts) .....and a modular design for easy repair?
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:04:07 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Whirlpool/Kenmore/Roper/Estate (and some I can't think of right now) all use the same basic hardware. They really don't break often and when they do they are easy to fix. Basically you will be putting in a couple sets of agitator dogs, a couple motor couplers and jumperring out/ replacing the top lid switch if you keep it 20 years (based on my experiences with the half dozen I have fixed for family and neighbors. I would go for the mechanical timer style
On Jan 10, 11:39�am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You could check this out, too. He also has a video on the site on the subject http://fixitnow.com/wp/2004/11/11/mailbag-what-washing-machine-would-the-samurai-buy /
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

How come? I will... but curious
Well a friend of mine has a 7 yr old Kenmore top loader and just replaced the water pump himself.
He ordered the part from Sears and was a snap to install due to modular design. So I know I want that capability...just didn't know if Whirlpool was built like that or not.
On Jan 10, 8:04 am, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

If you want cheap to acquire & easy to repair.......
I would suggest an older used Maytag that you pickup cheap on Craigslist.
People are always moving not wanting to take their machines with them.
I've got a 25+ year old Maytag that used to do ~15 loads a week but in that last 5 years I'm down to under 10 loads. Only repairs / maint have been the belts & the water inlet valve assembly.
Get a 10 year old one in decent condition at a good price & it will most likely last for a LONG time.
My neighbor bought a new front loader combo set for $1200+ and its had two service calls (so far).
Gotta do a lot of wash to save $1000 in hot & cold water.
cheers Bob

Yeah I know
My previous washing machine was a Kenmore front loader built by Figidaire that only lasted 7 years under light use!
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

According to my dad, Maytags have a lot fewer parts and simpler mechanisms than other brands. Less things to break.
Bob

Same from my FIL. I've replaced a couple pumps and transmissions of other brands in my time, not that bad of jobs, really.
But "we" followed his advice to make him happy... as if he really GAS, but... you know... -----
- gpsman