Earthworms

Anyone intentionally produce earthworms in their garden or flower beds? I want to start a bunch for fishing, and was just wondering.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

DerbyDad03

Dig a hole, not removiing any earth, jes turn it. Begin emptying things like coffee grounds, egg shells, apple peels, etc. Basically the stuff you'd usually put down the sink diposal. Keep turning the earth once or twice a month or after a layer of wet garbage builds up. You'll get worms. To get 'em out for fishing, heavily soak the dirt overnight. The worms will rise by morning. Or, put an electric worm rod in the ground. That'll get 'em up and out tout de suite, or at least as fast as worms can go.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Paintbrush. Container of bleach. Dip brush in bleach and fling on the ground.

Earthworms come bubbling up by the hundreds (well, dozens).

For fishing, I'd get a breeding stock of some of the humongous worms. Introduce them to an organic rich environment, and wait 'til they had baby worms.

Reply to
HeyBub

How much dirt is there in a hole that measures 1' x 1' x1'?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

actually- *none* of it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I was adding worms to the lawn, where years earlier, Chemlawn reduced the worm population tin the neighborhood to almost zero.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

How do worms reproduce?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Please! This is a family group.

Reply to
HeyBub

We would go down to the park or golf coarse jes before dawn after a night when they'd run the sprinler system and collect night crawlers on the surface. Had no special name for it other than "gettin' some worms".

nb

Reply to
notbob

"all" can be represented as the number 1 (100%). The amount of dirt in a hole by 0 (none). Therefore, "all the dirt in the hole" is 1 * 0.

"All of it" = 0.

Both "all of it" and "none" are correct answers.

Reply to
sam E

"All of it" is not a correct answer if left by itself.

Multiplying anything by 0 will equal 0 but who (in their right mind) would answer a "how many" or "how much" or "how often" question by choosing some random amount and then multiplying it by 0 to get "None"?

Bottom line: There is no dirt in a hole.

Now, does anyone know why I responded to notbob's suggestion with that question?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

There may be dirt in the bottom. But there is certainly no dirt in a line.

Reply to
krw

Hole:

  1. A hollowed place in something solid; a cavity or pit

Hollow:

  1. A void; an emptiness

The dirt at the bottom is not in the hole any more than the dirt on the sides is.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

'cuz not bob suggested:

"Dig a hole, not removiing any earth"

If you don't remove the dirt, you haven't dug a hole.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Chrystonacrutch!! You fsckin' morons are gonna flog this to death, arntchya?

nb

Reply to
notbob

Yep. Why should this thread be any different than so many others?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Subtle point, but correct.

Allow me to rephrase my statement...

If you don't remove the dirt, you haven't created a hole.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No dirt came out of the hole in my shirt either. No dirt came out of the hole in the bread I just baked. No dirt came out of the hole I drilled in that board.

Of course, those holes are no more relevant to this discussion than the hole in the ozone.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The hole is in the dirt, not the other way around.

Nope. The dirt on top *was* where the hole is now, but it's not anymore.

Reply to
krw