EARTHQUAKE

Page 3 of 6
on 1/7/2016, Muggles supposed :

Wouldn't a room with 2 foot thick reinforced concrete walls and cieling built in the center of the house be the best place to ride out a tornado?
On 1/8/2016 10:46 AM, Eagle wrote:

I'm sure it would, but it'd be an expensive remodel.
--
Maggie

Muggles has brought this to us :

I would figure in that expense with the mortgage, but that's just Me. As far as shakers go, having a concrete box in the middle of the house for shelter would be a trap IMO. Getting outside and away from the street lighting and transformer boxes would be My move.
On 1/7/2016 3:23 PM, Eagle wrote:

I've been scared with close calls several times. I get in the bedroom closet and bring the dog in there with me along with some flashlights, my phone, and anything else I might think I need at the time.
Last spring I came home and there was a combination of super cells that were converging on the city coming from 3 different directions. Down town got hit with gustnado's, and one small tornado, and I was tracking it all via 2 tv stations weather reports. Things seemed to be calming down and I got up and looked out my back window and saw the clouds moving away from me North pretty fast. OK ... all is well, I thought. A few minutes later I went back and looked again and the clouds had reversed direction and were coming straight at me going south and spinning counter clockwise over the house. At first I thought "how beautiful", and then I thought "OH CRAP! This CAN'T be good!!" and headed straight for the closet with the dog. We were hit with heavy hail about 10 seconds after I got in the closet, but no tornado. Later I found out that what I was seeing was those 3 different super cells converging on each other and the clouds were spinning like crazy because of it.
--
Maggie

Muggles expressed precisely :

Can you get tornado insurance where you live Maggie? If so, is it expensive?
On 1/8/2016 10:48 AM, Eagle wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's covered by "acts of God".
--
Maggie

Muggles explained on 1/8/2016 :

Does 'god' [small g] take dollars or pounds? :')
Muggles posted for all of us...

What has your experience been with cell phone usage after a storm?
--
Tekkie

On 1/8/2016 1:50 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I haven't have any cell phone outages or issues after a storm, but I also wasn't in an area directly hit by a tornado, either. The closest I've been is about 2 miles from a hit.
--
Maggie

Muggles wrote: "We've had tornadoes, have weakened hurricanes come through, and now we're getting regular earth quakes, too. "
Big Mama Earth is waking up - and she's PISSED!!
After serious thinking snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

Shake and bake!
On 1/9/2016 10:49 AM, Eagle wrote:

Shake, rattle, and roll!
--
Maggie

If you cancel a game due to weather, you're not taking the game seriously.
--
Why do they rate a movie "R" for "adult language?"
The only people I hear using that language are teenagers.
After serious thinking Mr Macaw wrote :

I know...a game is more important than some crack in the ground.

If it isn't, then the game is pointless.
--
In 1977, researchers detected a strong radio signal from space that lasted 72 seconds. It hasn't been detected since.

Or the bigger one in 1972 (Sylmar), which provided a set for an episode of Mission Impossible (the hold VA hospital that collapsed). There was also 1987 (Wittier Narrows, my first).
Or long beach in the 30's.
Scott Lurndal submitted this idea :

Shake and bake! :-?

Someday CA is going to crack off from the rest of the U.S. and will then become a country of their own. That's why they already have their own political system which greatly varies from that of the rest of the U.S. I always wondered why so many products say something like "this faucet does not comply with California building codes because it contains lead". That tells me that either anyone living in the other 49 states are immune to the effects of lead, or else those in CA have weaaker immune systems.
Once CA cracks off from the rest of the U.S. will they still be part of the U.S. government, or will they become a separate nation, with it's own president and laws?
This may sound far fetched, but it's not as crazy as it appears. Look at the southern (or south American) part of CA that extends down into the ocean. (I cant remember the name of that). It's obvious that piece of land was once attached to the main body of South America, and broke off somewhere in history, probably thousands of years ago.
Because of the placement of the plates (fault line) on the West coast, it's not as crazy as it may seem, that eventually CA will break away from the rest of the U.S. However, if you who live there think you'll soon be free of Washington DC and it's politics, dont count on it. I doubt any of this will occur in our lifetimes. But there will still continue to be small and sometimes larger quakes along that fault line.
No matter where we live, there will always be the possibility of disasters on Earth. If it's not earthquakes, it's tornados, hurricanes, floods, and so on. And if the Earth itself dont do enough damage, it appears that there will always be wars and man-made disasters because people cant get along with each other.
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc laid this down on his screen :

Some Californians are buying land east of the San Andreas fault right now. When the big one hits and Cali slips off into the Pacific, they will have beach front property to sell and be rich mofo's.
Oren wrote :

Think 'Island property' for those who slide off the mainland. :D