Eagle Scout project complete!

Page 3 of 4
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh. Sorry. My grammer chequer didn't catch it.
A man died, having all his wealth converted to gold. And burried with him. As he gets to the pearly gates, dragging his incredibly heavy suitcase with him, and looking around, a bit paranoid.
St. Peter greeted him at the pearly gates. Assured him his gold was safe, there was no theft in Heaven. The guy came in, and still dragging his suitcase behind.
As he got out of hearing range, St. Peter turned to the other angel, and asked "what's with that guy and his suitcase full of paving stones?"
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

If you're doing something because you think it will get you into heaven or keep you out of Hell you're doing it for the wrong reason.

While I agree with that statement, I'd contend nonetheless that doing good (e.g. feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, sheltering the homeless), even for the "wrong reason", is still a Good Thing. Certainly better IMHO to do good for the wrong reasons, than to do evil for any reason.
There can be more than one reason. But, I've done a lot of things in order to improve my eternal afterlife.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Would you have done them differently if you were not attempting to improve your afterlife?

Yes, totally so. I woulda never got baptized, if it weren't for the promise of a better afterlife. Nor would I have done any temple ordinances.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh, I thought you meant something that actually made a difference for somebody other than you.

What have you been doing to improve the afterlife of the thousands of innocent souls tortured and murdered during the Inquisition?
Kalarama wrote:

Probably the same sorts of things that Jews and Muslims and the like have been doing--don't assume because Mormons are religious and American that they are Christians in the same sense that Catholics or Protestants are Christian--while they recognize the divinity of Christ, they have their own revelation that is independent of the Bible. Blaming them for the Inquisition is like blaming the Pope for 9/11.
Yes, it's possible to read some accusation and blame into that question. I preferred to see it as a practical question. So, what all do we actually DO to make things better? I try my best to be a practical person.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormin Mormon is always posting his LDS sig line here, so I'll post one that is riveting reading:
http://www.exmormon.org /
The book, "Secret Ceremonies" by Deborah Laake is also a riveting read into the inside world of an LDS wife, which is one step above a chattel or cow in Mormon society.
Enjoy.
Steve
SteveB wrote:

Chattel bull?

My kids always loved Chattel's Barbie Dolls.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

Lovely work, Doug. Please pass my congratulations to your son and his troop.
djb
Congrats from a long time Scouter and the father of two Eagles.
I have been told that the only two activities specifically asked about on the application to any Military academy are "Are you an Eagle Scout, Did you attend Boys State?"

Some years ago, I was chatting with a Scout who was just back from his first semester at the Air Force Academy. I asked him if it gave him an edge, being an Eagle. He said "Nah. It's pretty much expected." -- Doug