Eagle Scout project complete!

Page 2 of 4
notbob wrote:

That is odd, mine played it fine. Firefox, it may be a Flash Player plugin problem. Showing Flash Player 10 using Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20080703 Mandriva/2.0.0.18-1.1mdv2008.0 (2008.0) Firefox/2.0.0.18,
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
Doug Miller wrote:

Nice work. I'll bet your son will do OK in life.
Do you ever spend time pondering the resurrected Lord, and the blessings of eternal life in Heaven? Or do you just cry all day with endless guilt?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

That's not a binary choice.
--

Don\'t worry about people stealing an idea. If it\'s original, you will
have to ram it down their throats.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I've never met a Catholic who "cried all day with endless guilt". I don't know where people get the idea that Catholics are on some kind of guilt trip--few of them that I have ever met are.

J. Clarke wrote:

Heck I cried all day when I was sent to the Catholic Parochial Gulag by my parents. I often tell people that I have absolutely no fear of terrorists because as a small boy, I had Irish nuns for teachers. *snicker*
TDD

Of course we do.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Neither. A great sage once said: "There are four things on which one should not dwell: What came before and what will come after, what is above and what is below."
The simple reason for this admonition is that one cannot influence the hereafter. One can, however, do something today to make this a better world.
HeyBub wrote:

What makes you think you can do something to make this a better world?
I wonder that, and also why people think that their earthly actions have no effect on their eternal glory (or lack thereof).
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Oh, come on, that's easy. Volunteer at a soup kitchen. Donate food and clothing to a shelter for battered women. Teach someone to read. Raise your children to be respectful and kind. Use your turn signal. Say "Please" and "Thank you." Smile. Hold the door open for an old man with a cane.
I could go on, but hopefully you get the idea.
Doug Miller wrote:

That was intended as a bit of a trick question. Couldn't resist :o)

Experience.
If you're hungry, I can give you a sandwich. If you need to rest, you can use my couch. If you need a job, I can make some calls. I can donate blood, pay my taxes (some of which help make this a better world), kill a rat, smile at a child, enjoy a kitten, write to my congressman, and, in a thousand small ways, do something every day.
HeyBub wrote:

No, the simple reason for the admonition is to trivialize anyone who has beliefs. Can you offer proof using standard rules of logic that there is "nothing"?
George wrote:

So it is your belief that some action on your part can result in a change in God's plan?
George wrote:

I never said there was "nothing." The hereafter simply doesn't influence me.
By the simple standard rules of logic, I can say that we MIGHT be closer to world peace, a cure for cancer, or eliminating male pattern baldness had not some really great intellects applied themselves to endeavors other than ruminating on how many angles could dance on the head of a pin.
The New Testament says that the streets of heaven are paved with gold. Whether they're paved with gold or whether they're paved with mud, they are what they are and none of our piety or wit can cancel half a line. We are of THIS world, not the world to come.
But, and this is a big "but," to the degree that any faith inspires and comforts, any activity that promotes that faith and belief is, intrinsically, good. Any religion that promotes charity, good works, justice, respect, protection of the weak and chastisement for the wicked is a good and holy road to God - even if it digresses from time to time to contemplate angles and pins.
I was asking for acute angle. I had to lose some wait, cause I was considered obtuse.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sorry if I was confusing. Let me restate.
I come from a tradition that teaches good works are good for their own sake, not as an entrance fee to the hereafter and that was the message I was trying to convey. My tradition teaches that dwelling on the hereafter takes time and effort away from these good works and is, therefore, discouraged.
On the other hand, if someone's faith holds that one earns entrance in the world to come by doing good deeds, that's okay with me - the good gets done and I'm not too anal about the motivation.
On the other, other, hand, there is at least one religion that provides entrance to paradise is achieved principally by expanding the reach of the religion. If this reach is achieved by forcibly imposing the doctrine or killing apostates, infidels, and non-believers, that earns the actor a ticket in first class. And maybe even virgins.
Point is, if one's motivation is driven solely by a desire to enter a better place, the worldly results of that desire can be quite wicked.

I am more of an agnostic, but still believe in the performance of good works (or whatever name you'd give it) as an end in itself. Even helping the ltlle old lady across the street she wants to cross is a good deed, although there are and should be "bigger" things to strive for. The abuse of virgins is just that - abuse. Even the thought should be abhorrent, unless the virgin really wants to shed the appellation.
--
Best regards
Han