Eagle Scout project complete!

A quick look at Wikipedia casts doubt on that. Wiki would love the corrections if you've got them. I checked mostly because I didn't think a dozen astronauts had walked on the moon-- then once I was there. . . .

Armstrong & Duke -Eagle Mitchell & Scott - Life

No mention of scouting- Aldrin, Conrad, Bean, Shepard, Irwin, Young, Cernan, Schmitt

I don't doubt that a lot of Eagle scouts have done well. There are a couple million of them, more or less, so it is likely that lots of them did well. [chances are that as a cross section of society, they counted among the more privileged class so we should expect them to do better than average]

But how do they rate against their peers? It would take a real effort to sort them out, take a sample and compare their futures-- but if we're just going to cite random scouts-- I've known 3 in my life.

1 was a good man, though outside of scouting you wouldn't call him remarkable.

2 others were not. They didn't do as poorly as Eagle scouts Lee Harvey Oswald, or serial killer scouts Robinson & Whitman, - but they were general ne'er do wells.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Congrats from a long time Scouter and the father of two Eagles.

I have been told that the only two activities specifically asked about on the application to any Military academy are "Are you an Eagle Scout, Did you attend Boys State?"

Reply to
Ed Ahern

Some years ago, I was chatting with a Scout who was just back from his first semester at the Air Force Academy. I asked him if it gave him an edge, being an Eagle. He said "Nah. It's pretty much expected." -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

The Army loves to hire Eagle scouts, especially those that made to the Scout conventions and remote-area camping events. Much of the stuff they teach in basic and even in OCS has already been addressed, so the official military training is usually a breeze for them. Most of the big Army bases historically have had a very friendly relationship with the Scouts, although there has been some flack lately due to the Scouts allegedly discriminating against some kids of non-mainstream religious beliefs or unacceptable lifestyles.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

In addition to many in leadership positions, there seems to be a disproportionate number of serial killers among Eagle Scouts. Richard Angelo and Charles Whitman being but two examples.

Reply to
LD

Congrats on your son's achievement...You should be very proud...Don't let the idiots get you down....

Reply to
benick

Speaking of Boys Scouts acheivements...

This happened locally within the last few days. I bet there are some proud mothers and fathers on this one. An example of a training exercise suddenly turning into the real thing.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

How many of them were able to light a campfire on the Moon? *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Heck I cried all day when I was sent to the Catholic Parochial Gulag by my parents. I often tell people that I have absolutely no fear of terrorists because as a small boy, I had Irish nuns for teachers. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Six.

Reply to
LD

I didn't ask who lighted a rocket! *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

(...)

Consider it a 'Decamp' fire.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Here's some:

Neil Armstrong First man on the moon

Willie Banks Olympic athlete, former world-record holder in triple jump and long jump

Michael Bloomberg Mayor of New York City

Guion "Guy" S. Bluford Jr. Retired U.S. Air Force offcer and space shuttle astronaut; frst African American in space

Bill Bradley Former professional basketball player, U.S. senator, and presidential candidate

Stephen Breyer Associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court

Mike Crapo U.S. senator from Idaho

William C. DeVries, M.D. Surgeon and educator; transplanted the frst artifcial heart

Michael Dukakis Former governor of Massachusetts and presidential candidate

Mike Enzi U.S. senator from Wyoming

Thomas Foley Former speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and ambassador to Japan

Gerald R. Ford*

38th president of the United States

Steve Fossett* World-record holder; frst to circumnavigate Earth solo in a balloon and an airplane

Chan Gailey College and professional football coach

John Garamendi Lieutenant governor of California

Bill Gates Sr. CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; father of Bill Gates

Robert Gates U.S. secretary of defense and former director of the Central Intelligence Agency

Michael Kahn Academy Award-winning flm editor

James A. Lovell Jr. Former U.S. Navy offcer and Apollo 13 commander

Gary Locke Former governor of Washington; frst Chinese American governor in the United States

Richard G. Lugar U.S. senator from Indiana

J. Willard Marriott Jr. Chairman and CEO of Marriott International

George Meyer Writer and producer of "The Simpsons"

Ben Nelson U.S. senator from Nebraska

H. Ross Perot Founder of EDS and Perot Systems; former presidential candidate

Rick Perry Governor of Texas

Beasley Reece Former NFL player and sportscaster

Mike Rowe Host of "Dirty Jobs" television program

Donald Rumsfeld Former U. S. secretary of defense

Jefferson Sessions U.S. senator from Alabama

William S. Sessions Former federal judge and director of the FBI

John Tesh Recording artist and performer

Togo West Former U.S. secretary of veterans affairs and secretary of the Army

Reply to
HeyBub

Neither. A great sage once said: "There are four things on which one should not dwell: What came before and what will come after, what is above and what is below."

The simple reason for this admonition is that one cannot influence the hereafter. One can, however, do something today to make this a better world.

Reply to
HeyBub

What makes you think you can do something to make this a better world?

Reply to
norminn

No, the simple reason for the admonition is to trivialize anyone who has beliefs. Can you offer proof using standard rules of logic that there is "nothing"?

Reply to
George

I've got to disagree with that concept. Of course, a person can affect what comes after death. That's the entire reason for repentance, commandments, acts of service, etc. Even a few Non-Mormons understand that concept.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wonder that, and also why people think that their earthly actions have no effect on their eternal glory (or lack thereof).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

So it is your belief that some action on your part can result in a change in God's plan?

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you're doing something because you think it will get you into heaven or keep you out of Hell you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Reply to
J. Clarke