E15 is EVIL!

Page 1 of 3
From an American Petroleum Institute report:
"The additional E15 testing, completed this month, has identified an elevated incidence of fuel pump failures, fuel system component swelling, and impairment of fuel measurement systems in some of the vehicles tested. E15 could cause erratic and misleading fuel gauge readings or cause faulty check engine light illuminations. It also could cause critical components to break and stop fuel flow to the engine. Failure of these components could result in breakdowns that leave consumers stranded on busy roads and highways. Fuel system component problems did not develop in the CRC tests when either E10 or E0 was used. It is difficult to precisely calculate how many vehicles E15 could harm. That depends on how widely it is used and other factors. But, given the kinds of vehicles tested, it is safe to say that millions could be impacted."
http://washingtonexaminer.com/study-new-e15-gas-can-ruin-auto-engines/article/2520078

http://washingtonexaminer.com/study-new-e15-gas-can-ruin-auto-engines/article/2520078
Related question.
The auto manufactures can and have made cars that run on E10 and E85 and if I understand pure alcohol. My question is how much does it cost to make a car that can run on E85 and E100 as compared to one that (barely/badly) runs on E10?

That's a mighty fine question. And I would extend it to small engines as well. It seems a lot of small engines are remarkably sensitive to ethanol. You would think it would be a big marketing plus for a company to have a product that while costing a little more it would feature being OK with alcohol.
ctures can and have made cars that run on E10 and E85 and if

There are much more constructive uses for ethanol than mixing it with gasoline.
When mixed with orange or tomato juice, a quart of it can keep a man happy for a week. However, in a lawnmower, it will make a man miserable for an hour.
One needs to use the right tool for the right job !!!!
On Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:50:47 PM UTC-7, HeyBub wrote:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/study-new-e15-gas-can-ruin-auto-engines/article/2520078
How nice of the "American Petroleum Institute" to do his study. I'm sure they are neutral in their conclusions.
On 1/31/2013 2:56 PM, Roy wrote:

You think that some suck ass group in cahoots with the government would do better?
Even the Green God, Al Gore, has said the use of ethanol in gasoline was a mistake.
Roy wrote:

I wouldn't expect the Sierra Club to be doing the study.
Still, it's a poor argument to fault the messenger.
On 1/31/2013 2:56 PM, Roy wrote:

You could allege that about any expert group.
FWIW, I asked my Stihl, ExMark, Generac and Honda dealers. They all say the same thing. Avoid ethanol in fuel if you can.
The only dealer that wouldn't even comment was the big green tractor dealer...but they are making a boatload of money selling equipment to the corn farmers. At least they didn't lie to me.

I'm a retired engineer (EE not petroleum) and was licensed to work on aircraft engines. The problem is not so much E15 but that the auto industry has not elected to build engines that can run on E15. FWIW during WWII my grandfather modified his vehicles to run on a number of 'non-standard fuels' in part due to rationing but more as a function of cost.
I've looked at the data and the API is right on regardless of what their world view might be.
FWIW the current fuel systems can be modified but at considerable expense.
On Friday, February 1, 2013 9:45:28 PM UTC-7, NotMe wrote:

My Dodge van is engineered to burn E85 fuel but there is NONE available.
On 3/2/13 6:58 PM, Roy wrote:

Have you checked here: http://www.e85locator.net ? E85 has about 27% less energy compared to regular gas according to this: http://tinyurl.com/atlz6pq
On Saturday, March 2, 2013 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Appreciate the reply...one problem...I live in Alberta, Canada and our local towns have NO E85 pumps as yet.
Anyway, thanks...I will use the info for when I go down to visit some relations in Idaho and Washington.
You're not in NYS?
My Dodge van is engineered to burn E85 fuel but there is NONE available.
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:03:12 --0800, Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds

The government says E15 is safe.

Govt says new fuel cans are good.
Greg
wrote in
Re Re: E15 is EVIL!:

What do you mean by "new"? The 2013 version, the 2012 version, the 2011 version, the 2010 version the 2009 version, the 2008 version ... the 1999 version...
The government said to get onto this cattle car, you're going for a shower.
Take your flu shot.
Thalidomide is safe for pregnant women.
Agent Orange is just weed killer. It won't hurt people.

The government says E15 is safe.

Don't forget that trickle down economics is good for people
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 19:26:11 -0800, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Sure as shit beats the trickle up poverty Obama has brought us.

you mean the economy of bubble housing financing caused by TOO much regulation as expressed by Rubio?