E15 is EVIL!

From an American Petroleum Institute report:

"The additional E15 testing, completed this month, has identified an elevated incidence of fuel pump failures, fuel system component swelling, and impairment of fuel measurement systems in some of the vehicles tested. E15 could cause erratic and misleading fuel gauge readings or cause faulty check engine light illuminations. It also could cause critical components to break and stop fuel flow to the engine. Failure of these components could result in breakdowns that leave consumers stranded on busy roads and highways. Fuel system component problems did not develop in the CRC tests when either E10 or E0 was used. It is difficult to precisely calculate how many vehicles E15 could harm. That depends on how widely it is used and other factors. But, given the kinds of vehicles tested, it is safe to say that millions could be impacted."

HeyBub

Related question.

The auto manufactures can and have made cars that run on E10 and E85 and if I understand pure alcohol. My question is how much does it cost to make a car that can run on E85 and E100 as compared to one that (barely/badly) runs on E10?

Reply to
NotMe

That's a mighty fine question. And I would extend it to small engines as well. It seems a lot of small engines are remarkably sensitive to ethanol. You would think it would be a big marketing plus for a company to have a product that while costing a little more it would feature being OK with alcohol.

Reply to
trader4

On Jan 30, 11:09 pm, "NotMe" wrote: ctures can and have made cars that run on E10 and E85 and if

There are much more constructive uses for ethanol than mixing it with gasoline.

When mixed with orange or tomato juice, a quart of it can keep a man happy for a week. However, in a lawnmower, it will make a man miserable for an hour.

One needs to use the right tool for the right job !!!!

Reply to
Robert

How nice of the "American Petroleum Institute" to do his study. I'm sure they are neutral in their conclusions.

Reply to
Roy

are neutral in their conclusions.

You think that some suck ass group in cahoots with the government would do better?

Even the Green God, Al Gore, has said the use of ethanol in gasoline was a mistake.

Reply to
Frank

I wouldn't expect the Sierra Club to be doing the study.

Still, it's a poor argument to fault the messenger.

Reply to
HeyBub

You could allege that about any expert group.

FWIW, I asked my Stihl, ExMark, Generac and Honda dealers. They all say the same thing. Avoid ethanol in fuel if you can.

The only dealer that wouldn't even comment was the big green tractor dealer...but they are making a boatload of money selling equipment to the corn farmers. At least they didn't lie to me.

Reply to
Mitt Romley

I'm a retired engineer (EE not petroleum) and was licensed to work on aircraft engines. The problem is not so much E15 but that the auto industry has not elected to build engines that can run on E15. FWIW during WWII my grandfather modified his vehicles to run on a number of 'non-standard fuels' in part due to rationing but more as a function of cost.

I've looked at the data and the API is right on regardless of what their world view might be.

FWIW the current fuel systems can be modified but at considerable expense.

Reply to
NotMe

The government says E15 is safe.

Reply to
Sy Philis

Govt says new fuel cans are good.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The government said to get onto this cattle car, you're going for a shower.

Take your flu shot.

Thalidomide is safe for pregnant women.

Agent Orange is just weed killer. It won't hurt people.

.

The government says E15 is safe.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Don't forget that trickle down economics is good for people

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

And this is the National Petroleum Institute saying, naturally, that it isn't. I'd no more take their word for it than I'd take the word of the ethanol companies that it is safe.

We've been using E10 gas in Minnesota for the past thirty years or so. If there was a problem with it, it would have affected hundreds of thousands of engines by now. That hasn't happened, so the fears about E10 are unfounded.

E15 is another issue because it's a newer, untried blend. Researchers looking into it have said that it appears to be generally safe BUT it could potentially damage parts of older engines that were not designed to run on it. The gov't and the ethanol lobby interpreted that to mean it is safe.

Who are you gonna believe? Me, I'm looking at what the automakers are saying, especially with regards to warranty issues on cars running E15. Several automakers have said they don't believe E15 should be used in their vehicles because they weren't designed and built to run on it. Some are going so far as to put warning labels inside their gas filler doors.

That's good enough for me. When the automakers start producing engines that they warrant can safely run E15, I won't worry about it. Until then, I'll avoid it.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 01:51:10 +0000 (UTC), gregz wrote in Re Re: E15 is EVIL!:

What do you mean by "new"? The 2013 version, the 2012 version, the

2011 version, the 2010 version the 2009 version, the 2008 version ... the 1999 version...
Reply to
CRNG

I'm expecting some TLA to mandate that gas stations have to sell E15, from now on. You might not be able to find less E than that.

.

Several automakers have said they don't believe E15 should be used in their vehicles because they weren't designed and built to run on it. Some are going so far as to put warning labels inside their gas filler doors.

That's good enough for me. When the automakers start producing engines that they warrant can safely run E15, I won't worry about it. Until then, I'll avoid it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sure as shit beats the trickle up poverty Obama has brought us.

Reply to
krw

you mean the economy of bubble housing financing caused by TOO much regulation as expressed by Rubio?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

At least you're showing some hope of recovery.

Reply to
krw

what? liberals in charge and you admitting recovery?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds