Dynamo 1HP pool/spa water pump

I have a 1HP dynamo pool/spa pump that a friend gave me, when plugged in it makes a humming sound but doesn't spin, I can't seem to get the face off the main spinning rod
(as shown
http://s87749883.onlinehome.us/pump.jpg ) Is there any trick in doing so?
Are there any kind of bearings in the plastic face that could have ceased? that could explain why it will not spin while the face is attached with the 4 other long screws.
http://s87749883.onlinehome.us/face.jpg

My cousin's spa motor did the same thing. I took it to a motor repair shop and they charged $15.00 to fix it. I never found out what the problem was.