dynamic tinting

Hi, folks.
Is anyone aware of a technology that would allow to tint a, say, window dynamically. What I mean is so that it's electronically equipped to handle several shades. Perhaps a single-segment soft LCD layer would do the job, but I haven't seen it done. Any recomendations?
Thanks for any pointers (if they exist)
Alex.