Dyna Glow 20,000 BTU propane heater

I recently picked up a Dyna Glow 20,000 BTU wall heater. I would like to in stall it at a hunting cabin (400 sq feet). The question I have is if I hoo k it up to a 20 lb portable propane tank (outside with a line running into the cabin) do I need to use a regulator like a gas grill. I'm thinking I d o but I have no experience with anything like this and since I bought it us ed it didn't come with a users manual so I thought I would check here.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jimmyDahGeek

heater. I would like to install it at a hunting cabin (400 sq feet). The question I have is if I hook it up to a 20 lb portable propane tank (outside with a line running into the cabin) do I need to use a regulator like a gas grill. I'm thinking I do but I have no experience with anything like this and since I bought it used it didn't come with a users manual so I thought I would check here.

If you have a model number sticker, that information "should" be on the web.

A pound of propane provides 21,500 BTU, so you can plan on your 20# tank lasting 20 hours, or 15 hours for Blue Rhino tanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If it does not have a regulator built in, it will need an external regulator.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

With few exceptions, 10 psi is the standard. There are some adjustable for high output to 30 psi.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He'd probably get more BTU without the regulator. Might not be UL approved, though.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The other issue is whether the heater is designed to run on propane or nat gas? If Ed's 10 PSI is correct, that's about 3x the pressure of nat gas. Without modification, I don't think the heater is going to be happy with the higher pressure.

Reply to
trader_4

Last I checked, propane was typically 11 inches water column, natural gas is 3.5 inches. 10 PSI would be a bit more then either of those.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Aye Carumba, you're right! Ed must have meant water column, not PSI and I didn't catch it. So, the pressure units are as you say. But he's still left with the issue that the pressures are different and frequently something designed to be run on nat gas will require modification if it's going to be run on propane. He needs to determine what fuel the heater is designed to use. As you suggested, a good place to start would be finding the manual.

Reply to
trader_4

Inches, pounds, bleens, microfleems. It's all so confusing....

Ask for the butcher for a pound of beef, and he sets the scale for microfleems, and then I get home and find the recipe asked for two bleens.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is designed to run on propane.

Reply to