Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

Page 9 of 16
On 2/26/2013 3:18 AM, dsi1 wrote:

Why build the nuclear power plants in Alaska and waste all that power in long electrical transmission lines? There are safe designs for nuclear power plants that would make them good neighbors, much better neighbors than coal fired power plants. Perhaps one day highways will be modified to transfer power to electric vehicles while in motion which would keep the batteries charged for trips off the highway. It may be SciFi now but I recall when cellphones were science fiction. I really do believe electric vehicles will be wonderful given time to develop and build up a demand by the population but Moonbats are trying to force them on the citizenry before they're ready for prime time. That will not work as can be seen by all the "Green" energy companies that vaporized after sucking up so much taxpayer money that was showered upon them with great fanfare by the ignorant morons in charge of the country right now. Don't you just adore The Emperor's new clothes? O_o
TDD

Solar energy is pretty popular over here. Unfortunately, Hawaiian Electric has to charge more for electricity to make up for the lost revenues caused by solar water heaters and photo voltaic systems. That's the breaks. :-)
On 2/26/2013 11:04 AM, dsi1 wrote:

As I sit here at my computer in the great state of Alabamastan, it's 47°F, damp and cloudy outside and not a very good day for solar power. When I lived and worked out in the middle of The Pacific Ocean, the days were warm and sunny and great for solar power. Ways of storing the free energy from the sun will have to mature before it will work for everyone. I'm all for energy storage systems but would like to see a way to store the actual concentrated heat that can be produced by solar power. Perhaps super insulated tanks of molten salts would work. I like the systems in use in places where underground ice banks are used to help cool building in warmer months. The ice banks are frozen during the winter months and used as a heat sink for air conditioning during hot weather. I don't see why heat energy from the sun couldn't be stored in the same way and used as a source of heat for buildings or for heat to produce electricity. O_o
TDD
dsi1 wrote:

FOol. The IR losses would waste most of that power, and Nukes in Alaska have a very poor track record. The one at Ft. Greeley was a disaster. They filled the structures with cement to seal in the radiation, and to keep thieves from trying to steal contaminated metal.
On Feb 24, 9:42 pm, The Daring Dufas <the-daring-du...@stinky- finger.net> wrote:

es

nd

You charge your car up at home at night Duf. So there are charging stations everywhere. The problem is; range and the time it takes to charge from a domestic outlet.
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 23:51:48 -0800 (PST), harry

Really? There isnt a charging station within 28 miles of my home.

On 2/25/2013 1:51 AM, harry wrote:

Electric vehicles are wonderful for the capabilities they have. The electric car can never take the place of a gasoline powered vehicle until it has the range and convenience of what we have now. Perhaps a small nuclear reactor would give an electrically driven vehicle the ability to travel long distances without having to stop every 50 miles to recharge the battery. My concept of vehicle range is one that travels far enough and long enough so that I must stop to empty my bladder before the vehicle runs out of power. ^_^
TDD

And that is is power filled during the time it takes my wife to empty hers....
The Daring Dufas wrote:

There were five mounting locations for 30 gallon tanks on my old stepvan service truck. Fully loaded, it got over 20 MPG or 600+ miles per tank. Dual tanks easily let you drive over a thousand miles. All five would take you over 3000 miles, if you could afford to fill all of them. ;-)

In Europe we let the train take the strain. Or the bus. Or fly.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 09:58:14 -0800 (PST), harry

What do you do for transportation when you get there? When we fly, we still end up renting a car. I typically put over 1500 miles on the rental if we are out west. The record was in the Dakotas, 2300 miles in 3 weeks. Stuff you want to see is far apart out there.

Most Euros have ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE as to the distances that are considered normal in the US. My cousin from Hungary, thought it completely crazy to hop in the car to drive 120 miles/ 2 hours, one way, for a weekend in the cabin. Even though it amazed him to see 8 deer checking him out on the back porch at less than 15 yards.

an

Hungary=hillbillyland. There is more culture/history than the USA However he's right about long drives. The USA is full of nothing. Especially in the middle. This is the reason they sit in their themed basement/bars drink chemicals (which they think is beer) and play with their guns and talk about cars.
Maybe in a thousand years you might have a little culture.
I can look up now and see 2000 years of history . There are twenty odd places of interest within twenty miles. Many you could spend days exploring. And if you drive, the roads are interesting.
On Feb 25, 6:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

True. Makes driving very boring. Another reason not to drive. The UK is only 800 miles long. Everywhere is close.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 09:58:14 -0800 (PST), harry

But you've been trained from birth to be sheep. They don't call you "subjects" for nothing.
On Feb 25, 6:59 pm, snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

es

vels

Better than being slaves to US banksters.
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 01:00:28 -0800 (PST), harry

Europe was as heavily invested in US banks as the US. That was one of the main reasons Obama and Bush bailed out the big ones.
On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 01:00:28 -0800 (PST), harry

Only an idiot would willingly be a slave to the government. You're such an idiot, obviously.
harry wrote:

With tons of tools, parts & manuals? Yeah, riiiiiiight.

els

>In Europe we let the train take the strain. Or the bus.

North of Washington, we do that in the states, too.