Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

Page 5 of 16
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 05:35:31 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

There is less and less upward mobility in the US as time goes on. A lot of this is because the Republicans have cut spending on education, so it's much harder for low-income families to get their children a good education. Then at the same time, the wealthy can get subsidies (vouchers) for keeping their children out of the public schools.
The current price of a college education means that fewer will go to college, and when they do they're so far behind the 8-ball that many of them will be paying off their student loans for decades.
The only people that are really doing well are those at the top of the corporate ladder (where they make truly ridiculous amounts of money, and far more in proportion to regular employees than in other countries), those who have inherited family wealth, and the Wall Street types in banking and finance. So then the Right-wingers want to reduce their already low tax rates even more. Sure, just give them the everything and screw the poor and the middle class.
The "Tea Party" is even worse. They're the deluded pawns of Wall Street.

Yes, that's the common claim of conservatives - "They don't really want to work." You're really a hateful person. Your prejudice and bigotry are showing...
On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:07:42 -0500, Soupe du jour

That is BS. The US spends more on education than any other country, but we have 10th ranking students. That is because the liberal educators have pretty much ruined what school is supposed to be.
It stated in the 60's when you could get a draft deferment it you were a teacher or taking college courses to become one. The liberal draft dodgers are not the school administrators.
It does not matter is the student can find Europe on a map as long as we don't hurt their self esteem.

What a lie. We spend more today than ever on education. And we spend the most per student of any country in the world, except Switzerland, which is just slightly higher. The fact that students today are dumber, don't know who the VP is and are scoring far lower on tests than students in countries that spend less, is not a spending problem. But that is the image the liberals try to portray to try to justify throwing even more money and more big govt at the problem.
Then at the same time, the wealthy can get subsidies

That's pretty much a lie too. There are very few places that use a school voucher system. I'll bet it's way less than 1% of the total public school system. It actually would be a great idea. It would allow poor and middle income parents in schools that are doing a terrible job of education to use their voucher at a school that works. IT would give them choice. It would introduce competition into the system. But the libs won't allow it because they insist on protecting the teachers and failed schools. The rich? It doesn't matter to them because again, they aren't getting vouchers and are paying for public schools through their taxes and private schools out of their own pocket.

You conveniently forget that the other part of most of the Republican plans to cut tax RATES included changing the tax system so that people would pay about the same taxes. It would get rid of page after page of all kinds of deductions, to arrive at basicly the same number.

I call most of them patriots. For example, all of them are focused on trying to reduce govt spending before the country goes bankrupt. That point isn't too far off at the rate we're going. When's the last time you heard Obama or any of the libs warning of the problems of rapidly increasing debt, of coming up with any plan to reduce spending? Why Pelosi was out just last week saying it's simply not true that we have a spending problem.....

And there you have it folks. The race card played. For the peanut gallery, here is what I actually said:
" People start out at a low paying job and then work their way up to a better job. Or start a business. That is how it works, at least for those that want to get off their ass. I just had two painters over here to give me quotes on painting a great room and a foyer, $3,600 - $4,000. Are you gonna tell us that skill set is beyond the reach of the common person? I could do that job myself in a week. Do the math at what income that works out to. "
I didn't say that all people don't want to work. I actually said quite the opposite. Most people start out at a low paying job and work their way up. It's the lying libs like you that pretend everything is static. Because someone is making $8 an hour today, 5 years from now, because there are still people making $8, they must be the same people. And obviously the prices painters are getting here in NJ show there is opportunity for even those with limited education to move up.
On 02-25-2013 13:24, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

One-note Wes here again, pushing the bicycle option.
Bike: $400 (more than thirty years ago; would be 1000-2000 today)
Panniers, each big enough for a gallon of milk and more, $70/pair
Trailer two-thirds the size of a shopping cart: $350
Repairs (bearings don't like going back to work after a twenty-year retirement): $150
Things to prevent frostbite, if you live where I do: $100
Now comes the full disclosure part...
Hospital visit after forgetting the right way to turn a corner in a blizzard: $150 co-pay.
But you could always stay home when there's a blizzard.
I'm not really saving any money on fuel--I just get it at a different store. But the insurance and registration is a lot, and the $150 repairs in three years (that I probably won't have to repeat for ten more years) is WAY less than car maintenance.
--
Wes Groleau

Nobody believes a theoretical analysis — except the guy who did it.
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 23:07:24 -0500, Wes Groleau

You'll also be exercising, and that will be worth a lot. You'll live longer and live better.
On Feb 25, 6:24 pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Li batteries are reckoned to last about tens years with 80% of capacity remaining IF they are well looked after.
Technology is constantly evolving, hopefully prices will reduce.
BTW lots o fLi was found in Afghanistan. Any connections?
On 2/24/13 5:25 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

People who don't ride seem to think we can ride forever plus a day on a tank of fuel. I've had four bikes so far. The largest is the current one, a Suzuki Volusia, 805cc. All four of those got around 45 mpg. It has a four gallon tank. A lot of bikes seem to have smaller tanks. That's usually ok. I need to get off to stretch anyhow.

I think there was a sign on Highway 6 east of Denver, CO long ago. It was on the border. It said something like "Last gas before Denver".
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 19:09:49 -0600, Dean Hoffman

The best mileage I ever got from a highway-capable motorcycle was about 60 MPG, and that was with a Honda CB360. It wasn't something you'd want to take on an extended trip on the highway, but it was enough to handle anything in-town and also highways for roughly 30 miles one way. Anything more than that and you wanted a larger, heavier motorcycle.
A friend had a '77 Sportster that he claimed got 70 MPG, but I never knew whether to believe him or not. :-)
I had much smaller motorcycles that didn't really get any better mileage than the 360 did. I think a Suzuki 100cc bike that I had did better, but I only ever used it for very short trips within my neighborhood.
I had a number of 650 and 750cc bikes that didn't even get as good mileage as did a Ford Festiva that I owned for a while (It always got a bit over 40 MPG.)
Oddly enough, I think the most fun I've ever had with a street bike was with that CB360 or the KZ400 that replaced it.

I've never seen an unlimited range car yet. After about 300 miles, I have to fill my gastank. --scott

On 24 Feb 2013 20:28:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Another bloomin' idiot heard from.
On 24 Feb 2013 20:28:07 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

The difference is you can whip into the shop and rob, fill your tank, get a hot dog and be back on the road in 5 minutes. It might take 10 hours to charge your battery.
Jim Wilkins wrote:

You see a lot of people with nothing but a golf cart in some large retirement communities, They can go anywhere, including to their doctors on the carts. 'The Villages" is one of the largest, and you see a lot of golf carts, but very few cars.

There is an area on Duck Key in Fl where they actually post (and enforce) golf cart speed limits. These are an option but only in certain areas, at least so far.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I've never been that far south. Tampa is about as far as I've been. :)
Some communities around here give the golf carts the right of way. They ignore stop signs, and drive down the middle of the roads. If they pull out in front of a car, the car's driver is at fault. They even got the state to build a private golf cart bridge over US-441 near Leesburg.
On 02-25-2013 00:16, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

I saw a TV show about a palce in California were most residents own planes, have garages to put them in, with streets wide enough to get them home from the landing strip.
--
Wes Groleau

“In the field of language teaching, Method A is the logical
Wes Groleau wrote:

We have Jumbolair, and the Leeward Air Ranch here. Yes, it was home to Jimmy Leeward, who died in that air show accident in his highly modified military plane. Jumbolair is where Travolta lives.
23:38:35 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Have one here in Washington. Oh, and those aren't "garages" (which are for cars) but "hangars".
    And aircraft have the right of way, cause they do not have a reverse gear. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Neither do the pilots. And their air brakes rarely work. ;-)
14:40:32 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Hope the plane runs out of gas, so it can coast to a stop before it hits the ground. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Only if the pilot is a true believer in the Leftist mantra.