Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

Like?

Don't be such an idiot. We could stop imports in five years if we wanted.

I thought you just said that "there are things more important than cost". IOW, you're a liar.

God, you're an idiot!

And oil. And NG. And a few (ten) thousand years of nuclear. So?

You really are an idiot. But everyone knows that.

Reply to
krw

Another bloomin' idiot heard from.

Reply to
krw

Why? If it makes sense, people will do it on their own. Why should their neighbors pay for it?

Drill, baby, drill.

Reply to
krw

A trailer? Really? You really are going some to prove just how stupid you are tonight.

With coal being forced into oblivion by your fearless leader. But so what? Electricity is a particularly dumb mobile power source. Convert everything else possible away from oil, though. It's cheaper.

Do *DRILL*. Good Lord. THINK!

Reply to
krw

...and come home from work in the morning. Nice idea, dolt.

Reply to
krw

I did read the article. It's written by someone who already had the solution. IOW, it's propaganda.

Reply to
krw

Pay for a house that drives 40 miles a day and then rent a car to drive out of town. That car would have been almost ok in my job in the bay area - 47 miles one way after the 4th company. I might have been able to put in a watt meter at work and run up a monthly bill. But good grief.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

16c here in Central NJ.

Not sure what you expect. It's Con Ed.

Reply to
Dan Espen

He didn't come up with it.

Wes Groleau

You see a lot of people with nothing but a golf cart in some large retirement communities, They can go anywhere, including to their doctors on the carts. 'The Villages" is one of the largest, and you see a lot of golf carts, but very few cars.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

How far do you drive a ladder?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nobody believes that the infrastructure can be developed overnight. The electric car will develop and mature like any new technology. Naysayers, as usual, will be proven shortsighted and wrong.

Sorry, I won't get sucked into some political rant. That's just a red herring anyway.

Reply to
dsi1

Economics does not take a backseat to anything or anybody. It always wins out.

Reply to
dsi1

Yup, I think it is the tiny tires on the Prius that cause some ride and noise problems.

On the other hand, the Honda Civic hybrid is an amazingly quiet car, and the handling is fine for a smaller car. if you insist on driving a boat, then pay the fuel bill. I've driven smaller cars for ages, and feel fine in it. I've had a few emergency maneuvers to make in the last 4 years, and was DAMN surprised at how well it did on those, too. I drove an MR2 for a while, and while the Honda is not quite in the same handling class, it comes surprisingly close!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I also wonder what does the heater and air conditioner do to those mileage estimates.

Your regular GM heater in a car is around 20,000 BTU. If you even got close to that with your Tesla you would eat 10% of your battery every hour, just sitting still.

My guess is they don't actually have much of a heater and you need a good coat in the winter. The A/C is going to pose a similar problem.

Reply to
gfretwell

The Tesla has a much bigger motor than that. I agree that if you actually drove your Tesla at the most efficient speed, you might get

300 miles out of it but nobody buys a sports car like this to drive slow. A Tesla will go over 100 MPH with lightning fast acceleration and it can go a couple hundred miles ... but not at the same time.
Reply to
gfretwell

That is about the sam,e as it os here but to drive on that public road, you need all the "street legal equipment" (lights, turn signals, seat belts, a windshield and wipers) and you need tags and insurance.

My problem is, the road I need to use to get anywhere is US41 with a

50 MPH limit. No carts, or even those funny looking Key West cars.
Reply to
gfretwell

I am that market and when I run the numbers, the electric loses every time. For that "5 gallons a month" you can't buy much of an electric car.

Reply to
gfretwell

The difference is you can whip into the shop and rob, fill your tank, get a hot dog and be back on the road in 5 minutes. It might take 10 hours to charge your battery.

Reply to
gfretwell

That is OK until there are a significant number of people plugging their cars in Peak rate might end up being at night.

We also have to expect that the government is going to start taxing the electric car chargers to recover the road taxes.

I was at a electrical contractor meeting the other day and saw the next generation car charger that talks to your smart meter ... so they can bill the car separately. That sounds like "taxes" to me.

Reply to
gfretwell