Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

They are -all- limited unless you find an open gas station. I quickly became aware of that when driving through the mountains on a motorcycle, and then during the Carter gasoline f**kup.

I was used to having 24-hour gas stations but couldn't find any out in the country away from 24-hour jobs, like hospitals.

Since retiring I hardly go through 5 gallons a month, mostly for grocery shopping. I could use a second cheap vehicle with a 10 mile range as long as it has a good cargo capacity.

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Because they're a cheap solution to a problem. Short-range cars are

*not*.
Reply to
krw

That's true, as far as it goes, but the infrastructure isn't there to allow a significant number of cars to switch. ...and there are no plans to put it there because the same people who are insisting on electric vehicles are standing in the way of more generation.

Reply to
krw

+1 +1 +1

...and whining about someone else's decision.

Reply to
krw

It doesn't take much planning to avoid such situations.

The plan is to not get in such situations. ;-)

...and you are how big of a market? You never go on a vacation or anywhere?

Reply to
krw

I know Prius owners that love them. My point is that hybrids are not for everyone. In my case, the batteries would be a concern if warranty is 10 years/100,000 miles I'd come up 40,000 miles short in 10 years. Prius, I rode in had one surprise. While the cars are quiet on the outside, it appeared to have a lot of road noise on the inside.

Reply to
Frank

It takes foreknowledge of places you've never been before.

Boomer retirees aren't a market?

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

People who don't ride seem to think we can ride forever plus a day on a tank of fuel. I've had four bikes so far. The largest is the current one, a Suzuki Volusia, 805cc. All four of those got around 45 mpg. It has a four gallon tank. A lot of bikes seem to have smaller tanks. That's usually ok. I need to get off to stretch anyhow.

I think there was a sign on Highway 6 east of Denver, CO long ago. It was on the border. It said something like "Last gas before Denver".

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Enough smarts to not get overextended.

No, not rocking char bound boomers. I have no great wants to be a homebody when I retire (did it once, didn't like it).

Reply to
krw

more than admitting the vehicle can never go far unless you have chargers along the way.

my best friend converted his 66 jeep and 68 impala in 1972 to dual fuel, gasoline OR CNG it works great and the exhaust is super clean.....

since the USA has lots of natural gas the feds should encourage dual fuel vehicles in a big way with big tax breaks.

to decrease crude oil imports.

Reply to
bob haller

how so? it makes the all electric vehicle typically used for around town easy to plug into a tiny trailer for long term trips. owner could buy trailer or rent it for occasional use..

and since very little electric is generated by burning crude oil, around here its nuclear, coal and natural gas.

anything that uses less crude oil / gasoline is less $$ given to the arabs who hate us.......

Reply to
bob haller

I've never seen an unlimited range car yet. After about 300 miles, I have to fill my gastank.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Well there are things more important than cost!!

Importing so much oil from the mid east and other places where were hated puts our entire economy at risk if say Iran decides to sink some tankers in the straight of hormuz..... Imagine gasoline at 8 bucks a gallon:(

If you look back at our last few recessions they went right along with gasoline at over 4 bucks a gallon.

Were right at that pont again and worse congress is more interested in politicking than being responsible abut sequestration....

USA has at least a couple hundred year supply of coal to generate electric.

All thats needed are large coal burning stations large enough so that scrubbers are cost effective...

Reply to
bob haller

During the day the power grid is used a lot, but after work, evenings nights and weekends the power grid as lots of extra capacity:)

People could charge their vehicles at nght, at off peak rates.

Reply to
bob haller

Correction...I pay .34 cents a KWH since they put the remote scanner on my meter. Ive not run a welder or machine tool for 2 months..yet they claim I used 1034 KWHr. All my lights are CFLs or florescents and I have a gas stove, and gas drier.

  1. Lie
Gunner

That was my wife's complaint. She also said the car didn't have enough weight to feel safe in.

If you read the article, the batteries are lasting much longer than expected and, according to the article, refurbished battery packs can be had for $1400. Just don't buy a battery from the dealer.

I'd love to have a Prius but I have a 98 Tacoma that will probably last longer than me. Also, I don't have $25k to spend.

Reply to
gonjah

Not necessarily. Read the article I posted. They are well built cars.

Just don't go to the dealer for parts.

Reply to
gonjah

I did that long ago. It is truly (or it was then!) less than ten cents per hour.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but at the other end of the wire there is a huge coal burning generator spewing all sorts of stuff into the air.

What we really need is a tiny nuke plant to power a car. Hey, it works for aircraft carriers so just scale it down.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Power companies are trying to get us to reduce consumption so they do not have to build new plants. How many lightbulbs must be destroyed to power a Volt for a shopping trip?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski