Dying for a Chevy Volt, but....

young people would buy a toy in the hand out of their paycheck and eat junk food made at home to make ends meet.

While having a car three times the cost of my first 3 bedroom brick house and 1/3 of the price of my current home and property it is over priced. And since I'm retired, I don't spend my money to pay for others ideas and wants.

If the government wanted to stimulate them they should have:

  1. subsidize the battery so that massive charge would be lower.
  2. Do as California did - have mandated plugs to be at parking lots and down town parking.

not subsidize multiple companies that were sold to the Chinese.

I suppose the hundreds of Tzars we got with the Pres really paid off...

Mart> >>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

They don't count teleporting.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I saw a TV show about a palce in California were most residents own planes, have garages to put them in, with streets wide enough to get them home from the landing strip.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

Mine went a thousand miles between three-dollar fill-ups.

Drove forty miles inland to cross into Mexico without having to wait in line. One peso per liter, eighty-liter limit.

Stock tank held forty liters, but I put another forty liters in an add-on tank in the spare tire well. Piped so I could fill both through the stock tube, and empty both with the stock fuel pump.

Reply to
Wes Groleau

"Children died, the days grew cold, a piece of bread would buy a bag of gold."

(song I heard in the '70s)

Reply to
Wes Groleau

We have Jumbolair, and the Leeward Air Ranch here. Yes, it was home to Jimmy Leeward, who died in that air show accident in his highly modified military plane. Jumbolair is where Travolta lives.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That front that is moving south sure brought a hell of a lot of large flies! Were they your pets?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Who pays for the electricity they use?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You better behave! I'll soon have the range up to 1500 miles, and I'll pop up there to smack you!

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gold has no value when it's all you can do to survive.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Gummer also has to sit down to pee.... that might have sumpn to do with it.

So what's the

Ummm, lessee, ummm..... the diff is that I'm not predicting the end of he world on a certain date?? Could that be it?????

Reply to
Existential Angst

There are some air parks like that in Florida too but Homeland is not happy about it. They really want a fence around every air strip and guarded gates.

Avweb.com had an article about it a few months ago.

Reply to
gfretwell

This was another thing that I saw in that smart charger show I was at. The new "public space" chargers have the ability to bill to a credit card, either by swipe, with a smart phone ap or a customer loyalty card at a store. The assumption was that customers who actually buy something would get a certain amount of free charging. (similar to validating a parking ticket) It would all be transparent to the customer. The charger vendor would send a statement to the driver, electronically or paper.

Again, I assume that road tax would be tacked on.

Reply to
gfretwell

Depends where you park it. Most are garaged. When I stay in Florida, my white Lumina starts from a carport. Nowhere near 140. And I usually find shade when I'm out and about. Seems there's a vast number of palm trees down there. Volt sales span the globe, but California, Michigan, Illinois and Florida are the biggest markets. Think a third are in California. There's Volt owner reports from hot desert areas like Phoenix. Saw one saying he wished he hadn't bought a black one. Duh.

Reply to
Vic Smith

No, they're my fans and groupies, they follow me everywhere and won't leave me alone. O_o

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

What did yo udo? Tell them that I had free concert tickets? Now they won't leave me alone! I had to dig out and put up a bunch of fly strips. Where do I send their remains? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, remember that the lower 47% income folks don't pay fed income taxes. Don't know how it works with state income taxes. The big subsidies come from the 47% being paid low wages and being charged high prices. I mean, the rich get their money from somewhere. I just call it trickle up. It's always been that way. Like how white cars and blacks handle the sun.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I had a '64 Bug. Two guys could lift the front end and slide it into a tight parking space.

Reply to
Vic Smith

I don't have that much luck finding a shady parking place and I imagine you are here in the winter. The sun isn't really that bad in February. In August it is brutal.,

Reply to
gfretwell

The problem with that thinking is that these subsidies are actually coming from the income tax code. The 47% are not going to be able to exploit it unless they have the money to start with. You get it back next year. In Florida we don't have income tax so the Florida solar subsidy comes from everyone but you still have to front up the money and get it back later. Joke's on them. There are tens of thousands of people, still waiting for the money. The program is broke,

It makes you wonder how many people lost their house because they borrowed that money with an equity loan, expecting to get it back in a month or so.

Personally I think taxes are supposed to raise revenue, not to incentivise public behavior so I am against all subsidies that are coming from the tax code. The current term for that is "loop hole", unless you are getting it.

Reply to
gfretwell