Dyeing carpet

I'm doing some redecorating as we've been in the same house for 6 years. Got the office done and it looks good. Now it's time to move to the bedroom.
The carpet in our home is cut pile and is a dusty rose/light purplish color. There aren't a lot of colours that go well with this carpet, so I'm considering dyeing the carpet somehow. I'd like to just pull it out and install hardwood or laminate, but the time nor money are available.
Is there anything I can use to colour the carpet, that isn't too expensive? I'm considering using a clothing dye inside of a carpet shampooer, but I'm concerned that I won't get the colour of of the shampooer and then the colour will come out of the carpet.

After a mishap of a college roommate involving a loose cap on a bottle of bleach (doh!), we tried to dye a 12" diameter circle of suddenly white carpet. The dye was RIT brand.
Despite a lot of care and feeding paid to that tiny area, the aesthetics of the results were quite hideous. :-)
Based on that experience, I am quite pessimistic on your plan. Dying over purple is going to nearly impossible unless you go darker, and to be uniform, you'd have to have nearly perfect rate control as you apply and I'm guessing that you'd end up with stripes based on non-uniformity of the spray on the ends of the machine's nozzle. however, if you hit it with enough dye and aim to make it black, I suppose it could work. But then I also wonder if walking on it with damp white socks would turn them black in perpetuity. You'll need a LOT of dye.
I'd say learn to live with teh purple until you can afford some area rugs or to replace the flooring.
Best Regards -- Todd H. http://www.toddh.net /

The only time I've seen carpet dyed in place was (my brother) spraying clothing dye from an automotive spray gun on a vehicle carpet, but not a home. In the 50's mix a RITZ (sp) clothing dye in a container and mix well.. pour in the gun and spray.
-- Oren
Noozer wrote:

Formidable task. Carpet is most likely nylon and dyes available to consumers are generally vat dyes for cotton. They would not stick to nylon, which takes acid dyes. Carpet may contain soil resistant finish which will also make dyeing difficult. A nylon dye might be steamed into the carpet but if anyone does, it would probably be a professional. Frank
Frank wrote:

I looked into this about 10 years ago when I moved into a house that I had bought. It had ugly dark grey carpet, but physically it was in very good condition. There are companies that will dye it. However, even here in the NY/NJ area, I couldn't find one nearby. I think the closest was like 60 miles away.
I looked into it a bit and don't remember the exact cost, but it wasn't cheap. The conclusion I came to was that for the cost, uncertainty of the outcome, how long it will last, etc vs new carpet, it wasn't worth it. Also, the fact that I couldn't find more companies in this area should also tell you something.
Noozer wrote:

Some carpet cleaning companies will dye carpet but it depends on the carpet material.
If its one room it would probably be easier to remove the carpet and replace it .
<snip>

Thanks folks... I didn't think it was the greatest idea. I'll just live with the color for now.