DW incomplete drain

Page 2 of 2
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:35:52 PM UTC-7, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

fixed, will it get worse

Whirlpool DW is less than 2 years old. Was only about $600+ including inst allation. Went to complain, but company out of business.
Now realizing that it is a relative plastic POS compared with my old KA. I am so clueless that I stopped using the KA when it wouldn't let hot water in, thinking repairs would be too expen$ive. I handwashed for 2 years - - didn't kill me <g> -- and only had it replaced thinking new person in hom e needed it. Turns out it KA problem was just a ****ing HOSE which had bee n bitten by MOUSE! Would have been inexpensive and I'd still have my great old TANK!
I will beat myself up till the end of time for not thinking things through; making unwarranted assumptions.
Right now I'm asking NG whether drain should be a gusher or just a stream. May give clue as to "weakness"?? of pump.
Tx for your input
HB
On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:19:35 PM UTC-4, Higgs Boson wrote:

mp long enough. Take the strainer out of the sink and see how long water i s flowing vs how long you hear the pump running. Is the time different for when it drains completely and wwhen it does not drain completely?

t. Strong stream that stops when the pump does?

ke that before -- or -- (awful thought!) was it, and I didn't notice?? Poss ible?

no base because I never looked in the past.

It would seem extremely unlikely for a 2 year old unit to have a "weak" pump. The only way I can see a pump becoming weak would be for some of the impeller blades breaking off, deteriorating away, etc. I've never seen that happen. A clogged drain hose, or passageway leading to or from the pump are the likely candidates.
On 8/13/2014 8:58 AM, trader_4 wrote:

And if you cannot find the problem yourself it may be time to call a pro. Most will charge $80 to $100. If the machine works OK otherwise, it may be worth the investment. If it was 12 years old, I'd consider a new one.
On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:58:23 AM UTC-7, trader_4 wrote:

pump long enough. Take the strainer out of the sink and see how long water is flowing vs how long you hear the pump running. Is the time different f or when it drains completely and wwhen it does not drain completely?

out. Strong stream that stops when the pump does?

like that before -- or -- (awful thought!) was it, and I didn't notice?? Po ssible? >

ve no base because I never looked in the past.

Thanks bot' a yiz guys.
Maybe I should stop ****ing around and call the damn appliance repair perso n! Money is so tight right now-- multiple car repair$ and house dittos -- that I was hoping I could go with the flow (baaaad pun) for a while.
BIG QUESTION -- dust off your crystal balls (snicker)-- is whether continui ng to run 2 cycles WILL LEAD TO MORE PROBLEMS.
Conjectures solicited.
HB
trader_4 posted for all of us...
And I know how to SNIP

I recommend Flomax
--
Tekkie

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 13:43:49 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

None. They sell them, they don't build them.

Two possible causes.
1. If the water is not draining between cycles you have dirty leftover water to start the next cycle. You won't get clean dishes.
2. Many detergents went to crap when the phosphate was re moved. There have been threads here about it and where to buy phosphate to add yourself. Another solution is a better detergent.
Cascade Gel changed to crap Cascade complete is better Cascade Platinum tablets are fantastic. Dishes sparkle like new. I also have a new KA top of the line DW too so that can make a difference.
On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:03:27 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

+1 Especially when it's not known what's wrong. Could be a plugged up drain hose.

That's my vote.
From the description it sounds like the first place to look would be a clogged drain hose between the DW and the disposal. Could also be clogged at the pump inlet. On my Kitchenaid, you can easily remove the lower arm, then the screen underneath and get to the pump intake. If it were mine, that's where I'd start, because it's easier than checking out the hose. On mine, you can turn the arm backwards while lifting up and it comes right off. But how the OP's comes apart, IDK. You can pull up parts diagrams at the online appliance parts stores that show how it's put together. That is often enough to figure out how it comes apart.
On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:42:57 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

According to my (crystal) balls, I don't see it leading to problems, just wearing out a bit faster from use. If you have the time to keep an eye on the cycle, I'd put it through a normal wash and first rinse, cancel, then start it over with minimal detergent to be sure it rinses well. May take a bit of experimenting.