DVD player acting up

Page 2 of 2
| Costco has a Samsung Blu-Ray for about $74 + tx. Anybody have experience with Samsung?
I don't have a lot of experience with different brands. I only buy electronics when I absolutely must. But I do tend to trust Samsung because they're the people with the know-how. I'm pretty sure they make Apple's iPhone screens. In general they seem to be the innovators with that sort of thing. When Samsung used to make hard disks it was typical to find them in OEM computers, which indicates they were probably dependable. I now have a Samsung TV, 2 Samsung DVD players from Best Buy, and a Samsung DVD drive in my PC. No trouble with any of them, except the TV sometimes acts up a bit in hot weather. I don't know whether that's normal. When it's real hot sometimes it will become unresponsive or go black, then turn itself off and back on again. I figure maybe it's an overheat protection, but I don't know.
My only other experience with flatscreen TVs was a friend whose TV burned out. I think it was HP, though I'm not certain. It turned out that a soldered spot on a circuit board was just a hair away from the back metal panel, with no insulation! Somehow it bridged the gap at some point, sparked and burned out the TV. A repair person figured out the problem from the black soot mark on the back panel.
On Friday, August 8, 2014 4:36:17 PM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

I tend towards Samsung also...their HDD are still around although you will find many who won't use them because of past problems of high failure rates. Maxtor is another with a shaded past! HP never made TV's AFAIK!

True, but it does give HB other options too. If he knows how to burn his own CDs, he could put a whole days worth of music(MP3) on disc and play it. Family videos/pictures onto a DVD and play them, too. I've just had real good luck with Philips players for the price and features, but if you're going to buy one, why not get as bang for yer buck?

A couple of months ago