Dutch doors

Sign guys use that stuff. They print on it and stick it on city busses with adverts etc. The passengers can see out quite will, although at reduced light levels. And you're right, it is very difficult to see through, although whilst picking nits, I would have to say that technically, the tiny holes are the same dimension regardless....as I drift off in b o r e d o m.....

The only real visual 'diode', is a webcam.. or any other kind of cam, but not a cam'el', because when you lift up a camel's tail, and peek inside, you don't get to see what the camel sees. Or so I'm told.....told you I was bored...

Reply to
Robatoy

Please, let's have a round of applause for our newly appointed WallMart greeter....

Reply to
Robatoy

Both? So it breaks into crumbs, but sticks to the middle layer? Cool.

If you can't get Plexiglas, limit your enrolment to Plexikids.

Reply to
mm

Woman from the church talked to a finish carpenter (or maybe a cabinet maker) yesterday and he said it couldn't be done -- even with a solid core door because the panels would come apart if it was cut. ??? Of course, I don't know what she really asked him.

I have a table saw, jointer, and router. I may just make a door from scratch and use Formica for the door skins instead of Luan to make it more durable. How hard could it be? (if it's a disaster, I'll learn something, and no one else has to know :-) Spruce 2x6's aren't that expensive...

I should probably hang it before I apply the skins so they don't chip at the edges if the door needs to be trimmed.

(Somebody stop me)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

The skins will need a substrate if you're going to use Formica. 1/4" ply would do you.

Reply to
Robatoy

To keep the rails and stiles and blocking from telegraphing thru? I was planning to have quite a bit of internal bracing (because of the window) and fill the voids with foam sheeting (to deaden the noise.) Not arguing, just trying to understand what you mean. Thanks.

There are hollow-core slab doors with windows in them at work. I'm gonna take some measurements today.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Not true about the hollow core doors.

I had to make some off standard size doors and started with hollow cores. I cut them to size, knocked the cardboard stiffener out of the way on the open edge and milled a piece to fit the gap and glued it in.

Once I sanded the edges it looked almost like the factory edge.

Reply to
Jay Giuliani

I thought so.

I'll see if Menard's has any prehung hollow core slab doors. Hollow core probably has only 2 hinges, so it'll be easier to add another pair before I cut it (instead of having to move the center hinge and add a

4th.) I've been looking at windowed hollow doors at work and they have a relatively small window off-center and away from the hinges -- doesn't reduce the strength as much that way.

I might can do the whole thing in a weekend for < $100. If I ruin it, I haven&#39;t ruined much. (the window will be trickier than cutting and reblocking the edges) Thanks.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob