Dust in laptop.

When static electricity in involved, it doesn't matter if the equipment is turned on or off. Well if on, it may crash and need a reboot, but as far as it doing damage, it'll happen either way.

Then again, I've used vacuums and even shop air to blow out PC's, and hundreds of mother boards made for other equipment. Never had a problem, just keep one hand on the ground and your other hand on the air nozzle. It bleeds off the static electricity before it can build up. Even better if it is plugged in, to have a real ground, but many manufactures changed their instructions and now tell you to unplug it, so you don't electrocute yourself.

Reply to
Tony

Wrong group.

alt.comp.hardware

Reply to
Ron

Well hell. You reminded me of a joke:

A prominent heart surgeon walks into the repair shop to check status on his motorcycle overhaul. The mechanic calls him over from the corner of the shop.

"Hey Doc. Look at this. I tear this bike engine down, remove all of the parts, clean them, measure them and machine them as needed. Then I put it back together and have it tuned and running to perfection. How come I make $35,450 per year and you make more than a million."

The surgeon thinks for a moment, smiles and puts his hand on the mechanic's shoulder.

"Ever try to do that with the engine running?"

Reply to
RonB