Dust and allergies

Is it better to have things like plastic plants around to catch dust ... if they are clened regularly than to have nothing? It seems to me that they act like an air filter.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

Well the dust you see on the plants would just find it's way to the floor or other areas if the plant was not there. They don't collect more than the usual dust. I would guess that vacuuming the floor is easier than cleaning the plastic plants. So my guess is they are not doing any good from the dust point of view.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

imho:

Carpeting collects dust too, but I've never heard anyone recommend carpet, even with frequent vacuuming, for people with lung problems.

Besides, most plastic plants look ah..... plastic to me. Get the real ones, they filter the air of bad stuff.

Just thinking out loud, not a carpet/plant expert.....

tom @

Tom The Great

That makes sense ... but I don't see much dust on the floors and the plants I cleaned yesterday hadn't been cleaned for a couple of years, si they really looked dirty. Probably just an optical illusion. : -)

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

I bought an Orek air cleaner and took it back after trying a Honewell 17000. It costed about $120. It drew cat hair out of the air the first day and my allergies were better the next day. I've had 3 bad days out of 10 and I think it's getting better. It was 10 out of 10 before.

There is a newer model 17005 that is programmable and has a remote. The unit is noisy but when it means not having sinus headaches there is no question of it being worth it. The program lets it run while I'm asleep but I haven't turned it off yet... actually both of them are running 24/7.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt