Durock Above Shower Mud Pan

I am building a new home. The drywallers installed Durock on the shower walls. However, there is a raised threshold (3-2x4s) of 4-1/2" at the entrance to the shower. The Durock sheets stop at the threshold height, 4-1/2" above the shower pan. I have now installed a mud bed that is 2" thick at the shower edge. So, there is now a space of 2-1/2" from the top of the mud pan to the beginning of the Durock (the shower pan material goes up the wall some 9" or so.)
My question is:
Do I fill in this 2-1/2" gap with a strip of Durock? Am I concerned about water wicking up the Durock?
Or, do I just allow the tile on the wall of the shower to overhang this "empty" space, perhaps filling the void behind the tile with extra thinset?
Thanks for your help.
gary comfort Ponce Inlet, FL

Your drywall guy gave you the shaft. You don't want to nail small pieces on because that would puncture your liner too low. You're going to have to remove the durock up higher so that you can put a big enough piece back in so that the lowest nail is at the highest part of the liner. I also hope you put a pre-slope under the liner!